Google, Dish in talks to launch wireless service

By Jos
Nov 16, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Google has already cemented its position as a strong player in the smartphone market through Android. But the company's ambitions in the mobile space are apparently much broader. According to The Wall Street Journal, the Internet giant recently met with satellite...

Read more
  2. psycros

psycros TechSpot Booster Posts: 616   +185

Voice plans and texting need only match Sprint or T-Mo. For real success, GoogleDish needs to offer three data options:

1) unlimited data with throttling (say, 256k on 3G and twice that on LTE).
    2) unlimited speed with a 5gb data cap. Customer can manage his account to pick between hard data limit and paying overages.
    3) Unlimited full-speed data for $100/mth.

Now the real kicker: no phone contracts. Instead, however much you pay for your phone affects the monthly cost of your plan. You wanna pay $100 for that brand new high-end Samsung or Apple? Your plan goes up by $10/mth. You wanna pay the default price, comparable to on-contract prices from the competition? You pay default price for your plan. Wanna pay <I>full</I> price for the phone? $10 off your monthly bill. Let the <b>customer</b> subsidize the phone cost himself, just like he would a car or any other big-ticket item. Contracts are an outdated concept that needs to die. You want people coming back because they love your products and service, NOT because their shackled to you like a serfs on a plantation. Most of the planet already knows this.
  3. veLa

veLa TechSpot Booster Posts: 435   +70

If there was a strong 3G+ network combined with a strong 4G LTE network that offered real unlimited it would make me switch.
  4. ReederOnTheRun

ReederOnTheRun TechSpot Booster Posts: 310   +62

It'll be tough to get me to switch until there is wide service coverage (phone and 4G LTE) and truly unlimited (or at least better than verizon's) 4G LTE service. That means no throttling. So far verizon covers everything for me pretty well (I kept my unlimited plan on my Galaxy S3 and for some reason I never seem to get throttled). That being said, Google seems to do everything better than the competition because they always keep the customers in mind. I wouldn't be surprised if they built the best wireless service in the country.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.