Google donates $600,000 to fund San Francisco Wi-Fi network

By David Tom
Jul 25, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. San Francisco may be the go-to place for all things technological; however, when it comes to internet connectivity, the city is surprisingly under-equipped. That is, until now. Google has donated $600,000 to replace the city's outdated connections with an extensive...

Read more
  2. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,017   +683

So... in 2007 Google offers some free internet and the people say no because they 'desperately want to avoid' a scenario where a company was motivated by profit. So 6 years go by, the city starts to fall behind while Google setups networks in other cities. Now Google offers again and the mayor's answer is 'This is where the relationship with the private sector is so important to us.'

So maybe companies making money isn't such a bad thing after all... who knew?

To be fair, in 2007 there weren't cities in CA going bankrupt and today there are. It's a good thing the politicians realized that as 'evil' as making money may be in their minds, it is what drives how much tax revenue the govt receives.

I think SF sounds like the coolest and most annoying place to live at the same time.
  3. Fbarnett

Fbarnett TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 183   +24

Why give the Freaks of SAN FRAN anything ? All they do is complain and b^%ch about everything. Look at ll the dumb rules and laws they have. Givethe money to a community that would appreciate it
  4. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,017   +683

Two reasons most likely... SF has water on three sides and it's a relatively small city geographically compared to the others in CA. That makes it easy to cover with wi-fi. It's also a very short drive from Palo Alto (where Google's Headquarters is) so there are probably a lot of Google employees who live in SF.
  5. I take it you lived in "SAN FRAN" before since you speak so ill about it. Every city has "dumb" rules and laws that never pleases.

Google isn't just going to go in blind and set up shop with out knowing the dollar value of future return. 600,000 could bring 10 times that (I obviously have no data to back that up) in a short time.

BTW, who doesn't want free wifi?
  6. I also wonder: why donate $600k to bloody public WiFi infrastructure? Aren't there any nobler goals?
    Skidmarksdeluxe likes this.
  7. Satki

Satki TechSpot Member Posts: 23

And just think of all the wireless traffic google can harvest for private data!

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.