Google Earth question

By learninmypc
Oct 16, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Miles.JPG
    Anybody know how to read that number?

2. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,021   +913

Thirty-nine thousand six hundred and thiry-one miles.

3. learninmypc

learninmypc TS Evangelist Topic Starter Posts: 5,305   +238

Ok, so the 91 is tenths?

4. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 3,473   +622

Yeah, that's a decimal point.

5. learninmypc

Gotcha, thanks. (y)

6. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,814   +921

To be precise, it's actually hundredths. But yeah, .91 rounds down to nine tenths.

That throws a curve into what you're used to seeing, which would be feet ('), then inches (").

Kind of makes you scramble a bit to remember your fraction to decimal equivalents. The most annoying / confusing part is, you're never taught "twelfths". Normally the progression of two presents itself most often in the denominator. I think ".91 of a foot", (in inches), would be 10.92". Rounded out, and expressed as a fraction, that would be, "11/12"......*nerd*

But the question remains, after the first 39 or so thousand miles, who cares?:oops:

St1ckM4n and SNGX1275 like this.
  7. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,626   +320

The .91 miles though would be 4804.8' (feet). Then 4804' 9.6".

So actually, it becomes a significant figures type issue which I've always found to be a bit confusing. Which then would go back to CC's point that its 39,000 miles (well I might round up to 40,000) that is going to be good enough when you consider this question spawned from GE.

St1ckM4n and captaincranky like this.
  8. learninmypc

Ok, to understand why I asked this, if you have Google Earth
    Simply zoom ALL the way out & in the bottom right corner is where I got that number, thank you.:)

9. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,814   +921

Mea culpa! In my own "defense", I was really stoned when I posted the whole "inches" thing.:oops:

It is kind of funny though. I suppose you could say I missed it by about 9/10 of a country mile...:confused:

learninmypc likes this.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.