Google fined €900,000 for breaking Spanish privacy laws

1. Spain's privacy watchdog has slapped Google with a fine of €900,000 ($1.23 million) for violating the country's data protection laws "when combining personal information from its many different online services and failing to inform users clearly on how it uses...

Read more
  2. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,016   +716

In relative monetary proportions, isn't that sort of like asking Donald Trump to skip a Starbuck's coffee ONE morning?
    Chuck Cortes likes this.
  3. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,235   +315

"...the company can recoup the fine in less than 3 minutes." Impressive!

I bet they don't even waste their attorney time to look at this.
    H3llion likes this.
  4. inventix1136

inventix1136 Newcomer, in training Posts: 85   +14

At least a regulator did their job whereas there is absolutely no protection for a user in USA and good luck in getting a fine of any size issued against a company breaking the rules.
  5. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,016   +716

Oh, that's because our DOJ is a subsidiary of Apple, or maybe Google. Oh hell, let's let it rip, "the US Department of Justice is a subsidiary of Exxon Mobile".

I can almost feel the NSA sucking data out of my phone after that remark......:eek:
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
    Archean likes this.
  6. inventix1136

inventix1136 Newcomer, in training Posts: 85   +14

You are not far off. The bigger the bribe (aka campaign contribution) the less the rules apply to you -- doubly so if you are a government agency.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.