Google has been quietly working on a new service that manages job applications for recruiters

midian182

Staff member

It seems Google is adding yet another string to its already very packed bow. The company has quietly launched a new job advertising service that manages applications for recruiters. The platform has been named “Google Hire,” naturally.

It appears that the service was developed by Bebop, the startup created by VMware co-founder and former chief executive Diane Greene that Google acquired for $380.2 million in 2015. At the time, Google CEO Sundar Pichai wrote: “We think this will help many more businesses find great applications, and reap the benefits of cloud computing,”

There have been no official announcements about Google Hire from either company as of this time. The Bebop website is currently advertising a small number of positions at the hire.withgoogle.com domain, which is where you can sign in for the Google Hire service.

There isn’t much information on the website, though Axios.com, which first reported on Google’s new service, notes that it “lets employers post job listings, then accept and manage applications.” The site compares it to rival services like Greenhouse and Lever.

There are already a number of tech companies using or testing Google Hire, including Medisas, Poynt, DramaFever, SingleHop, and CoreOS. Right now, it doesn’t appear possible to create an account from the home page, so it may only be available to select customers.

Google Hire is the latest effort to come from Google’s enterprise and cloud division, which is led by Greene. It’ll be interesting to see if the service can grow to the point where it challenges the likes of LinkedIn, and help justify the large sum Google paid for Bebop.

Permalink to story.

I am hearing that these days a LOT of companies are going back to simply requesting a resume attached to a cover letter via eMail. They have been getting a tremendous amount of static from potential employees that don't want to spend half an hour filling out all the applications, etc. on line just to make it easier on the HR department.

I am hearing that these days a LOT of companies are going back to simply requesting a resume attached to a cover letter via eMail. They have been getting a tremendous amount of static from potential employees that don't want to spend half an hour filling out all the applications, etc. on line just to make it easier on the HR department.

Filling out a form is a complete and utter waste of time especially when they ask things that are already on your CV.

Right.. So you want me.. Potential hire to spend all this time and money filling out your damn long *** application.. To NOT even get a thank you for even applying when not hired..

And no reason given for when not hired either..

Yeah no thanks!! The worst is when a company wants a background check or 30 day driving record. Cost me $ every time, just to apply. :(

Right.. So you want me.. Potential hire to spend all this time and money filling out your damn long *** application.. To NOT even get a thank you for even applying when not hired..

And no reason given for when not hired either..

Yeah no thanks!! The worst is when a company wants a background check or 30 day driving record. Cost me $ every time, just to apply. :(

The worst to me is the company that gushes over my qualifications, tells me how badly then need somebody with my background, then hires a green kid because he'll work for the minimum ..... then in a scant 2-3 months you see the position re-advertised. I have been watching one company in Nashville that has re-advertised a position I went for 6 times in 8 months .... don't the bean counters ever look at how much time, money, and effort is lost with this silliness?

The GOOD side is the company that calls me later on, after their "bargain" made his 2nd or 3rd million dollar mistake and begs me to come to work for them, with my first objective to bring the target in "on time, on budget" despite the several million dollar over run.

Strange nobody seems to be pointing out the conflict of interest here.

Google has web data (comments, email) on most Internet users. They package and sell this data to advertisers. HR departments usually try to screen applicants based on metrics including their Internet activity (political and social comments). By assuming this role, Google can theoretically bin applicants who don't represent "company values." Moreover, they can add an additional layer of identification to the information they already have: your current employment inquiries and status.

Back