TechSpot

Google install fail minidump

By AlbertLionheart
Mar 31, 2009
  1. Anyone any opinions on what has happened here, please?
    It may have been as the result of some threatware that I found on the system (WinPC Defender) and which I had thought I had removed.

2. AlbertLionheart

AlbertLionheart TechSpot Chancellor Topic Starter Posts: 2,026

Update - minidump file which was attached to the first post turned out to be an invalid file so if a kindly mod could bin this post please???

3. Bobbye

Bobbye Helper on the Fringe Posts: 16,335   +36

Your subject is pretty vague. What Google are you trying to 'install'? WinPC Defender is a new rogue anti-spyware program discovered by security analyst S!Ri and is a clone of the programs named XP Police Antivirus and IE Security:
    Full description and removal instructions here:
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-winpc-defender

But you should know the virus and malware drill here: http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic58138.html
    It calls for running Malwarebytes, SuperAntispyware, then HijackThis. Note that 2 of these 3 programs are recommended for the removal of the rogue spyware program.

Please attach the three logs when through and we will review them. I don't do the minidumps if that's what you're referring to, but I suggest running the scans instead and/or explaining the problem more clearly.

4. AlbertLionheart

The reason it is vague is that I don't know. There is nothing in the registry to show what this is.
    This is why I asked for a mod to kill the thread as it is a waste of time - and in any event I have reformatted the drive and reinstalled windows today!

5. Bobbye

Bobbye Helper on the Fringe Posts: 16,335   +36

Thank you. We understand that you do not need further help for this problem.

6. AlbertLionheart

Cheers - now perhaps a mod might notice and slap a solved sticker on it!

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.