1. TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

Google install fail minidump

By AlbertLionheart ยท 5 replies
Mar 31, 2009
  1. Anyone any opinions on what has happened here, please?
    It may have been as the result of some threatware that I found on the system (WinPC Defender) and which I had thought I had removed.

2. AlbertLionheart

AlbertLionheart TechSpot Chancellor Topic Starter Posts: 2,026

Update - minidump file which was attached to the first post turned out to be an invalid file so if a kindly mod could bin this post please???

3. Bobbye

Bobbye Helper on the Fringe Posts: 16,335   +36

Your subject is pretty vague. What Google are you trying to 'install'? WinPC Defender is a new rogue anti-spyware program discovered by security analyst S!Ri and is a clone of the programs named XP Police Antivirus and IE Security:
    Full description and removal instructions here:
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-winpc-defender

But you should know the virus and malware drill here: http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic58138.html
    It calls for running Malwarebytes, SuperAntispyware, then HijackThis. Note that 2 of these 3 programs are recommended for the removal of the rogue spyware program.

Please attach the three logs when through and we will review them. I don't do the minidumps if that's what you're referring to, but I suggest running the scans instead and/or explaining the problem more clearly.

4. AlbertLionheart

The reason it is vague is that I don't know. There is nothing in the registry to show what this is.
    This is why I asked for a mod to kill the thread as it is a waste of time - and in any event I have reformatted the drive and reinstalled windows today!

5. Bobbye

Bobbye Helper on the Fringe Posts: 16,335   +36

Thank you. We understand that you do not need further help for this problem.

6. AlbertLionheart

Cheers - now perhaps a mod might notice and slap a solved sticker on it!

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.