Google launches Android Wear smartwatch OS, LG G watch available to order today

Justin Kahn

google android wear smartwatch lg g moto360 gear live

Google's wearable tailored OS, Android Wear, was announced back in March and today at I/O the company said the tech is both ready for the public and fully available to developers. While the platform has already been adopted by companies like Motorola and LG, developers were previously limited to a preview version of the SDK. 

Not only will the smartwatch OS support voice commands in a major way with "OK Google" and other search related commands, but it will link up with any smartphone running Android 4.3 or later with notifications and more. It is a more universally accessible option to other current smartwatch options for that reason, and will also support every Android app.

Developers will be able to tap into the power of Wear quite easily according to Google, allowing them to create custom features like voice tweeting and to build native apps that use a device's sensors and have more customized designs.

The OS will support watches with both a square face or a round one, and it looks like both options are coming available quite soon from LG, Motorola and Samsung. Google showed off the LG G watch we previously reported on, which features a square face and an always on-screen. As far as Google Play is concerned, the G works the way you would expect most Wear smartwatches will, by simply downloading apps through a connected smartphone.

The round faced Moto360 also made an appearance as well, but it is still expected to launch sometime this summer. Samsung's Gear Live smartwatch that runs Google Wear will be available to order later today on Google Play as well as the LG G watch according to Google. 

Permalink to story.

They all look generic. If I were to get an iWatch, it would probably be either the Moto 360 or maybe the upcoming iWatch.

Now why would I spend a fortune on a hunk a junk for my wrist when I can just as easily haul my smartishphone out of my pocket?

So let me get this right. A SELLING point of one of these watches is that you don't have to turn it on to read the time, although because it's a digital screen it's still unreadable outdoors?

THIS IS WORSE THAN NORMAL WATCHES.

WHY DO HIPSTERS DO THIS?

Smart watches are a gimmick, nobody needs them. They focus on showing you everything else except time, which is in the upper corner barely visible. They don't look nice at all, I prefer the looks of standard watches like I.E. Sector, Casio, Fossil and others...They all have nice watches.

I like how smart phones have become so big that accessory items with screens the size of an old feature phone's screen are being released to save you having to pull the 5inch+ device from your pocket. I'm not keen on having another device that I have to charge every day! If I had to have any device of this type it would be a Pebble watch.

If it doesn't have a camera, it won't run ALL Android apps... most notably Skype.

And what would the battery life be like? A watch that must be removed & recharged every eight hours is a non-starter.

Smart phones are a gimmick, nobody needs them. They focus on doing everything else except place calls, which is a tiny icon at the bottom barely visible. They don't look nice at all, I prefer the looks of flip phones like Razr, Messenger, Big Easy and others...They're all nice phones.

Back