Google looks to give Spotify and Apple Music some competition with new free music streaming service

Justin Kahn

google apple music

Google doesn't plan to sit by idly while Spotify slowly takes over the music streaming space and Apple launches its own service. Much like what you are familiar with from other services, Google is unveiling its new free version of Google Play music streaming.

The ad-supported service, will be available in the US only from the get-go, and come with many of the limitations and features we are used to including radio-like stations, songs. albums and more. There also appears to be a series of pre-made playlists based on mood, genre and activity available. Apparently you can “bring your own music collection with you by uploading 50,000 of your own songs; then listen to them across Android, iOS, and the web, for free,” according to Google. Unlike the paid side of things formerly known as All Access, there is on-demand here, YouTube music videos, offline support or playlists in the free version.

It is available on the web starting today, with iOS and Android versions coming later this week. While it may not be huge news, or a Spotify-killer in anyway, it certainly brings Google’s music streaming service to the forefront. It is likely one of the big reasons that Spotify and other services of that nature draw large numbers of paid users in by offering free, ad laden content, so there’s no doubt some will be willing to give Google a spin.

Permalink to story.

I thought Google already had a music streaming service... Google Play Music with the pic of the orange cans. I thought that was their music streaming service. I've never tried it though because I'm not particularly interested in streaming music so it's disabled on my phone.

Too bad the free service is forcing curated lists. Spotify is still more "free" because it lets you shuffle custom playlists.

Back