Google = Microsoft's competition?

By Julio Franco
Apr 2, 2003
  1. "We do view Google more and more as a competitor. We believe that we can provide consumers with a better product and a better user experience. That's something that we're actively looking at doing," Bob Visse, director of marketing for Microsoft's MSN Internet services division, said.

Now, this is what I call an obvious monopolistic position, I have nothing against Microsoft but it would seem they can not sleep at night if any other company is making a breakthrough and they have nothing to do with it. The article seems a bit exaggerated though; I have never heard anyone call net searching, "googling", oh well.
  2. Tarkus

Tarkus TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 621

I've been using Google as a verb for several years. I haven't used any other search engine since 1998.
  3. negroplasty

negroplasty TS Guru Posts: 516   +12

Even if you were to use another site to search, like AOL or Yahoo!; both of these are powered by Google. Google certainly has the monopoly in the search engine industry. As for calling searching "Googling", I must agree with Julio and say that I have never heard anyone call it this before, besides Tarkus here ;) !
  4. warr

warr TS Rookie Posts: 67

you are wrong. Yahoo doesn't use Google any more.

Back to the news.

Microsoft can provide a better user experience? by putting their fvcking windows xpee theme into it? :haha: nuts!
  5. ---agissi---

---agissi--- TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,977   +15

yahoo does too use google! but i stick 2 yahoo :D
  6. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,172

I think this is just another one of M$ business crap where they are trying to gain a bigger market share in a newer area, as if they don't have enough right now anyway :confused:
  7. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 4,573   +65

Yahoo uses the HotBot engine.. It has for a long time and still does, much like Excite and a number of other engines.

Personally, if it isn't Google... I don't bother. I get more, better results with Google for any search I do.
  8. Julio Franco

Julio Franco TechSpot Editor Topic Starter Posts: 7,022   +612

Yahoo uses Google engine indeed, though I believe they will be migrating to something else soon. Hotbot doesn't use anything in-house, they share results with Google, Inktomi and some others.
  9. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,172

Well it seems we are all at a little disagreement here. I personally don't know which one it uses, but I think it is funny to see everyone correct the next ;)
  10. ---agissi---

Julio is the is powered by Google!...and Imma prove it ;) download the zip for a sceen shot or goto, search anything up and goto the bottom of the page:

"Copyright © 2003 Yahoo! Inc. All rights reserved.Privacy Policy - Terms of Service - Suggest a Site - Ad Feedback
    Search Technology provided by Google

What now u hot bots :blush:

I forgot to attach the zip and it wont let me I dont think under "edit". But u get my point :D
  11. negroplasty

negroplasty TS Guru Posts: 516   +12

LOL agissi, I was just waiting for somebody to feel the need to prove it :haha::haha: .
  12. ---agissi---

my sig didnt show up :(
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.