Google Nexus 6 "Shamu" to be released this month

Scorpus

Staff member

The rumor mill is in full swing at the moment, chucking out tidbits of information every week or so relating to the upcoming Google Nexus 6. According to the Wall Street Journal, Google will launch their next flagship smartphone "this month."

The Nexus 6, which is expected to be the final name for the device codenamed "Shamu," will be manufactured by Motorola and come with a 5.9-inch Quad HD display. The latest rumors say the handset will look like a scaled up version of the second-generation Moto X (pictured above), which Motorola recently released.

Other hardware that will reportedly make it into the Nexus 6 include a Qualcomm Snapdragon 805 SoC, 3 GB of RAM, a 13-megapixel rear camera, and a 3,200 mAh battery. Google usually uses Nexus devices to launch the next version of Android, so we can expect the Nexus 6 to come preloaded with Android L. As the SoC rumored to be powering the Nexus 6 doesn't support 64-bit instruction sets, this won't be the first 64-bit Android handset on the market.

Along with the Nexus 6, Google is also expected to launch the HTC-made Nexus 9 tablet. Like the Nexus 6, the Nexus 9 will launch with Android L, and rumors suggest it will be powered by Nvidia's Tegra K1 SoC. 

There's no word on pricing for either the Nexus 6 or Nexus 9, but considering previous Nexus releases, we're expecting them to once again undercut the competition.

Permalink to story.

It is going to be released at a very good price at google website for like 10 minutes and them on ebay for almost double the price...

Who picked that name?? They are asking to be abused with that name. Windows 10 and now Sham-U. You can't make this stuff up.

Who picked that name?? They are asking to be abused with that name. Windows 10 and now Sham-U. You can't make this stuff up.
think it whale do well?
funny-whale-what-have-we-got-here.jpg

5.9"...:eek: Who's it made for, people with bunches of bananas instead of hands? I've seen smaller big screen TV's. :p

Last edited:
1 Is it waterproof?
2 Can the battery be swapped out on long trips?
3 Can the battery last a weekend?
4 Can the display be read outside in the sun?

Moto X design is not bad but they could still make it look better. And screen size is too big. I always liked Nexus phones, not sure about this one.

5.9 inches is a typo or just a bad rumor. 3200mAh battery would be enough to power a large screen though. hmm I wonder when the limit will be achieved for screen size for a phone; I think soon. 5.3 inch Note is huge...for a phone.

Back