TechSpot

Google now controls 67 percent of the tablet OS marketshare

By Shawn Knight
Jul 29, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. A new report from Strategy Analytics takes a look at the number of tablets shipped during the second quarter of 2013 and compares them with figures from the year-ago period. The firm found Microsoft shipped 2.3 million slates running Windows...

Read more
  2. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 6,942   +899

It is good to see Android making a comeback.
  3. I find it hard to believe Microsoft sold 2.3 million, unless they are just counting the ones collecting dust in retail stores. There can not be that many people who would actually purchase one.

Just like Microsoft had to admit recently that they to a 900 million dollar loss because of their dust collectors.
  4. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,066   +704

It's hard to compare Apple vs Google in terms of sales like this. Apple makes the tablet and the OS, Google just makes the OS. That means a lot of the money from the purchase of an Android tablet goes to Samsung or Asus or whoever makes it. I'd like to know how much Google makes from each tablet.
  5. ^ They probably don't make much money on each tablet, but Google is more of a services company so they make most of their money from advertising.
  6. I wonder... if the trend continues, Apple could eventually see the tablet and smartphone market become like the desktop/laptop market with them holding 10% or less of total market share...
  7. A rather sensationalized title. Android, a free OS except for the Google Adware in it, "controls" little. Samsung, who is by far the largest home for Android and is pretty much single-handedly responsible for putting Android on the map, is the real player in the smartphone market here. They will be pushing there own OS, Tizen, very very soon. Hence Google's purchase of Motorola to try to stave off the otherwise very real potential of a quick death. If\when Tizen takes off and if Microsoft makes a dent then the world may look quite different for Android in the not so distant future.:'(
  8. I doubt Tizen will take off, to be honest. We've seen quite a few players vying for third place, but only with very limited success. Even with its immense amount of money, Microsoft has been struggling to make a dent with their Windows Phone OS. I'm not that familiar with Tizen, but it sounds like it will take a long time to achieve an ecosystem that's comparable to Google's Android.
  9. Divvet

Divvet TS Rookie Posts: 57   +19

Hahahahha your funny, I can see why you posted as a guest because you obviously don't believe your own comment. Tizen introduce a quick death to Android? hahahahaha
  10. Firstly, Android's numbers have doubled Apple's since the 1 year between Q2. That's a HUGE difference. The sale of Apple devices are slowing, and quite frankly I don't blame them, every iDevice is "Completely different" but at the same time very similar (ie iPhone, iPad, & iTouch).

Secondly,

Not sure what that guy's on, but if you think that Android "Controls" little, then they wouldn't hold 67% of the tablet OS market share (Hence the title of this article). And as for Tizen, you're telling me all the video streaming devices, phones, tablets, and Smart TVs will just vanish and stop using Android? I hope someone removed this guest from the commenting party.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.