TechSpot

Google now selling Project Tango 3D-sensing tablet for $512

By Scorpus
May 29, 2015
Post New Reply
  1. Google launched their prototype Project Tango tablet around a year ago, selling it to interested developers through an invite-only system for $1,024. Now the company is opening up sales to anyone through the Google Store, dropping the price of the developer-oriented tablet to $512.

The Project Tango tablet is a 7-inch device with a 1080p display on the front, and an Nvidia Tegra K1 SoC inside featuring two custom 64-bit capable 'Denver' CPU cores and a 192-core Kepler GPU. The tablet is also loaded with 4 GB of RAM and 128 GB of storage, which is still firmly high-end for a tablet in 2015.

The key feature of Google's Project Tango tablet is the Kinect-like camera array on the back, which is able to track and map 3D landscapes and objects in front of it. The system consists of a regular 4-megapixel camera with 2.0-micron pixels for high sensitivity, a secondary camera with a 170-angle field of view, and a infrared depth sensor.

The inclusion of the 3D camera allows developers to create awesome applications that allow the tablet to interface with real-world environments. There's hope that this type of technology will eventually be ubiquitous among tablets, but we're still quite a way off at this stage.

If you're interested in experimenting with 3D mapping and tracking, the Project Tango tablet can be ordered now from the Google Store.

Permalink to story.

2. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,509   +2,056

I think I'll hang onto my $500 or spend it on something worth $500. Gee. I hope my decision doesn't dishearten Google.