TechSpot

Google offers peek at new Gmail design, Calendar to follow

By Jos
Jul 1, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Google's web services are getting a makeover to match their recently launched Google+ social networking site. You may have already noticed a black bar running along the top of their…

Read the whole story

2. Heh. Calendar to follow?

Yesterday I got the new look for my calendar..
    .. and I still have the old look in Gmail.

Not uncommon for Google to roll out changes gradually.

3. tehbanz

tehbanz TS Enthusiast Posts: 183   +10

Ill stick with my terminal look, hopefully they port that to the new layout. I love the dark theme with the neon green.

4. mario

mario Ex-TS Developer Posts: 399   +17

The new look is a theme, you have to select it from the Mail Settings.

5. Leeky

Leeky TS Evangelist Posts: 4,378   +98

Yeah you can, its under the theme (Preview). I'm currently using it, though still not sure if its staying.

6. Benny26

Benny26 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,576   +47

Just tried the "Preview" setting...not very impressed, looks way too 'blocky' for me. I hope that's not forced on us.

7. Tough luck, Benny. Google loves forcing changes on its users.

8. Julio Franco

Julio Franco TechSpot Editor Posts: 6,570   +337

I like the new condensed preview theme. Calendar also updated here first, looks awesome in comparison.

9. Ugly!

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

10. Yet Another Horrible and unaesthetic novelty from Google!

11. Benny26

Benny26 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,576   +47

It's like email for beginners. I hope the new themes that come with it might make it look at least a little better.

12. Nice new interface, BUT when you send an email, you are not sent to your Inbox, but instead you are left looking at the email you have just sent! Why?!

13. yorro

yorro TS Enthusiast Posts: 246

I love it.

More minimalist. Spacing and padding provides breathing room for the controls.

Changes are probably for touch controls.

14. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,128   +731

Speaking of simplifying things. 'minimalist' should not be such a long word. I'd like google to think of a new word. Preferrably one syllable. Anyone have any ideas? Full points for a cool acronym. Like ETUG (Easier To Use GUI) or LIM (Less Is More) Google has stuck their fingers into just about everything else out there... why not fix up some English shortages.

15. Mizzou

Mizzou TS Enthusiast Posts: 930

Just flipped the preview (dense) on, not too radical a departure from the original classic theme. I'll try it for a few days, calendar definitely looks better.

Comment:

Gave it shot but just too bland and not enough contrast between screen elements.

16. The new Gmail is awesome! Looks great, but a little "square."

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.