Google Photos offers unlimited, free photo and video storage plus much more

Shawn Knight

Staff member
google pictures photos google photos

In addition to Android M, Google unveiled another brand new product during its I/O conference. Google Photos was designed with three big ideas in mind: to provide a home for your photos that’s available from any device, to help you organize and bring moments together and make it easy to share what matters the most.

For starters, the service automatically backs up images from your phone, tablet, computer and even your standalone camera’s memory card. It can also sync all of these images to your Google Drive if you wish.

As Photos Director Anil Sabharwal explained, Google Photos relies heavily on machine learning and intelligence. It automatically sorts images by days, months and years through a simple, pinch-to-zoom UI. Google Photos goes even further as it can organize photos by people, places and things.

To demonstrate this, Sabharwal searched for “snowstorm in Toronto” and immediately, the app was able to locate the photos he was after. Everything seemed incredibly snappy, especially considering that none of the images are stored locally.

As you’d expect, the service includes a collection of built-in editing tools as well as the ability to seamlessly share your memories with others. Google Photos features a photo assistant that can even suggest creative ideas about what to do with your photo collection and will perform the hard work for you.

Speaking of sharing, you can simply press on a photo and drag to include others in a selection. From there, it’s easy to send them out to social services, text, e-mail and more.

Best yet, Google Photos offers unlimited, free storage for all of your photos and videos at up to 16-megapixels and 1080p quality, respectively. Note that Google compresses content at “near identical” visual quality. This will be more than sufficient for all but serious photographers that can’t afford to lose any quality to compression.

Google Photos is rolling out starting today for Android, iOS and web users.

google photos google pictures photos

Permalink to story.

I can't stand these auto photo backup apps, I never use them. They never let you choose what pics or videos you would like it to backup, instead it backs up everything and then you have to go into later and delete all the garbage you don't want.
I'll back up my photos and videos myself, I'm not interested in sharing them with all of FB or the rest of the world. Not being a social media person at all I'll share my photos & video with who I want, when I want, how I want.

I can't stand these auto photo backup apps, I never use them. They never let you choose what pics or videos you would like it to backup, instead it backs up everything and then you have to go into later and delete all the garbage you don't want.
I'll back up my photos and videos myself, I'm not interested in sharing them with all of FB or the rest of the world. Not being a social media person at all I'll share my photos & video with who I want, when I want, how I want.

you will probably survive this app and it's new release then.

Even with the ability to access photos from any device, I'll keep mine at home on my server. I wonder what the terms of use state, and whether gaggle is somehow claiming rights to the photos on the service.

No thanks, gaggle; you're already way to intrusive for my tastes.

The greatest problem I find with almost all photo programs for storing them and backing them up: Sporting them according to the original data of the picture and categories is usually difficult. The data assigned is usually the one when it added to a collection. So when I add a picture taken in 1970 to my family collection it is usually sorted by date added. There is not way to change that date.

Back