Google Play Music debuts a new family plan for $14.99, wants you to break up with Spotify

dkpope

Staff

Google Play Music users can now sign up for a new family plan and stop accidentally listening to someone else's weird music. Google announced at the Nexus event that for the price of $14.99 you can get six different profiles so that each member of the family gets music recommendations based on their individual taste.

If the price point seems familiar that’s because it’s the same, exactly, as the Apple Music family plan which also works for up to six people.

That said, with Google Play Music you get more device options. Google's offering is available in 58 countries for Android and iOS. Users can also stream songs using web browsers, a Chromecast, Android TVs and more. Apple Music on the other hand only works on Apple devices at this point, although an Android version is known to be in the works.

Many people are already using Spotify, so why not use their family plan? It's actually more of a family discount: Users can get 50 percent off additional accounts for family members. At Spotify, $14.99 only gets you two accounts, it's almost $35 for six accounts.

Google may be playing catch up to other music streaming services but with a competitive price point and many streaming options, they are primed to be a valid choice.

Permalink to story.

I use Spotify and love the convenience of setting up Playlists and listening on multiple devices. This offer is tempting and I will certainly check it out.

Not a spotify fan at all, but I am glad to see google get with the competition. They should create a 2 user account for like $12.99

Make play music for all platforms, and even tv. lower the price even more and add more music. a much more userfriendly ui, like spotify has. and ill maybe change, but only maybe.

I don't listen that much so everything over 5€ a month is too much, at 2€ would buy instantly. Internet radio is good and free, if you know your stations there's no ads and quality is good enough if you don't own 10 000$ high end audio system.

Most people with 4 children or more are religious or live in third world countries and don't like/have technology that much. Easy to make this kind of package "cheap" cause no one will buy it.

Hopefuly Spotify will cheapen up the prices, I believe the service is expensive in the year run, even when it's just a cheap meal.

Yeah I was listening (disinterestedly) to them babble on about it which seemed like forever. Either way I'm not interested in either music providers, or whatever they're called.

Back