Google provides details on how Android Lollipop will protect your phone's data

Shawn Knight

Staff member

google android lollipop android lollipop

Google is calling Lollipop the biggest update to Android ever in terms of security and to back up that claim, they’ve published a blog post outlining some of the new features designed to keep your data safe.

Starting with the obvious, Android lead security engineer Adrian Ludwig points out that using a lock screen is the simplest way to keep data safe and secure on a mobile device. Lost and stolen smartphones are the biggest security issue affecting mobile users but many people don’t use them because it’s bothersome to unlock a device dozens of times a day.

google android lollipop android lollipop

Lollipop includes a feature called Smart Lock that lets users unlock their device through Bluetooth pairing, NFC or via facial recognition. Additionally, you call allow certain notifications to be accessible from the lock screen.

Android Lollipop also enables encryption by default so the data on your device will be protected from the get-go. Full device encryption occurs at first boot using a unique key that never leaves the device. This means that Google never has access to them and couldn’t provide them to law enforcement even if they wanted to.

Google has also strengthened its Security Enhanced Linux (SELinux) implementation which was first introduced last year and has helped prevent multiple vulnerabilities. With Lollipop, SELinux Enforcing mode is required for all applications on all devices.

The Nexus 6, Nexus 9 and Nexus Player are slated to be the first devices to get Lollipop early next month.

Permalink to story.

I don't feel like data on my phone is any safer. I don't feel like the unlock screen mechanism is that big of a risk for my data. My data often lives in the cloud. How is my data going to be protected in the cloud?

Google Android is base on Linux, and most of the privacy issues is around Google. They track you, they know where you are always. They know what you do on your phone or tablet. Just in your face too much. Same with the PC. More security for what? Should be to block google attempts into your own way of living. Cloud Storage is pretty safe for now. I use Box.com, but again they all have there securities features in place. It's just the tracking I don't care for. Windows does it too on their smart phones, tablets and PC. Of course you can opt out. Google owns ad.doubleclick why would they own that adware company. Got to wonder what's really going on. It's all about making profits!

I used to make lollipops in a toy lollipop factory. If you don't add the citric acid, they don't rot your teeth. It costs food manufacturers extra to add the acid.

I've always done this, through an amazing app called "Delayed Lock" by J4velin.

In that app you have different options, the main one is to not require a password every X minutes, for example you can tell the phone to not ask you a password for an hour (To your liking), this way you don't have to unlock it through a pin every time (You just slide it). It can also manage geolocation locking, wifi and bluetooth, also Tasker plugin to set scheduled hours and remote lock through sms or email.

The best part is, it's free with a little screen asking you to buy every 10 unlocks, and if you choose to buy it it's like $3.

I'm not interested in protecting my data. What I'd like is for my phone to blow up, if stolen in the thieves pocket taking the family jewels with it. In order for that to happen the cameras need to be turned on so I can tell when he's putting it in his pocket before pressing the remote detonation switch.

I don't feel like data on my phone is any safer. I don't feel like the unlock screen mechanism is that big of a risk for my data. My data often lives in the cloud. How is my data going to be protected in the cloud?

Ya don't ever expect too much privacy when putting something up on the cloud.

Encrypting the device is the first right step. It should make it harder for theses pigs to unconditionally steal your phones local data.

Back