Google redirect, and random website popups

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, my computer has been infected for a few days now and I've tried a variety of different programs to try to fix it, but the problems still exist.

One of the issues is that sometimes when I search a term on google, I'll click on one of the result links but get redirected to random websites instead. I've noticed several threads recently on this and other support forums, I don't know if it's caused by the same thing or what.

Another problem is that sometimes when I visit even a trusted site, like wikipedia, or hotmail, or even techspot.com, I get a new window opening to some random site. This happens when I'm not going through a search engine, or even clicking on any links, I could be typing in the url directly in the address bar and still get this.

When I first found out about this, I ran Spybot and Symantec antivirus which I already had installed, neither of which found any problems. After downloading Malwarebytes, it found 13 (!) infected files, including trojans and rootkits. I had the program remove those, but the problem didn't go away, so I went through the 8 steps listed. Malwarebytes came out clean this time, and CCleaner and Superantispyware didn't seem to find anything really major.

I've attached all the logs, hopefully I can figure out what's wrong. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Also, I was wondering how safe it is to continue using this computer while I'm trying to get it fixed. I'm definitely not going to be making credit card transactions or do online banking or share personal info, but I kinda need it to keep up with assignments, check email, etc. The google redirect/ popup thing doesn't happen all the time, only on about maybe a third of google searches I do or webpages I visit. So I've tried to continue using the internet normally, just with more caution, but I'm worried about getting more malware from the bogus sites I keep getting sent to...

Attachments

• mbam-log-2010-01-20 (20-43-10).txt
    869 bytes · Views: 0
  • SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log - 01-20-2010 - 21-46-47.log
    20.3 KB · Views: 0
  • hijackthis.log
    17.7 KB · Views: 0
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back