Google Redirect Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am having trouble with the dreaded google searchh redirect. I've been working with the folks from PC Tools on this issue with spyware doctor however they have not been very helpful in resolving this issue. That is why I'm turning to TechSpot to see if we can get the issue resolved.

I've followed the 8 step process to the best of my ability and have attached the logs. My symptoms are as follows.

When I open IE sometimes the system freezes and I have to use Task Manager to close my browser and reload it. Most of the time I can get into IE on the second try. Then when I link to Google, the search window opens and I see the search box and the Google logo/picture. The strange thing is that I will not see the blue writing (menu options such as Images, videos, Maps, etc.) until I move my mouse from my tool bar down into the main screen. The next symptom is after I perform a search in Google (like "Cranberry Gastrique") I see the normal search results that I would expect. When I click on one of those links I am not taken to the page I should. The first link in my example search is a site called "BigOven" but instead I see "psychobeachparty" show up in the address bar and I actually land on a page called "findstuff" with links related to cranberries. This is just an example of what is happening because the address link and the landing page each change whenever I do the search. Also, sometimes out of dumb luck, I am actually taken to the page I want ("BigOven") in my example.

I hope this is enough detail for someone to assist me as this has been a big problem. I normally use McAfee AV and firewall along with CrapCleaner, Spybot S&D and Ad-Aware.

Please help.

Google Redirect Solution?

I seem to have found a quick and easy resolution for the Google Redirect problem I've been experiencing. I found a tool called HitMan Pro from SurfRight (Version 3.5 Build: 83). I ran the tool on my system and it found a Rootkit problem (atapi.sys). The tool allowed me to do a 30 day license activation and cleaned the problem. I am currently no longer experiencing the problem I discribed earlier. Hopefully it will stay this way. I'll report back later to let everyone know if my system remains clean.

Thanks for everybody's help.

Cautiously think my laptop's cured

Well it has been about an hour and my laptop seems to be doing much better and doesn't seem to be showing signs of that nasty Google redirect. I really hope my earlier post about HitMan Pro helps someone. One other thing I found was a long list of hosts in my Hosts file. I dumped them and have a relatively empty Hosts file now.

I'll report back in a day or so with an update. Right now I'm running all the Microsoft patches and updates I can get my hands on. It has been some time since I've patched my system so I am due.

Happy Holidays everyone.

FYI:
Hitmanpro is described by the author:

“This is exactly what Hitman Pro does: it combines Ad-Aware SE, SpyBot Search & Destroy, Spy Sweeper, Spyware Doctor, CWShredder, Spyware Blaster, NOD32, Sysclean package. Most of the included programs are freeware. Some of these programs are limited trial editions of commercial programs, and the user can decide to switch these off after the trial period.

Hopefully you already have some of these programs running on the system already.

Fixed!

Yup. I've been using Ad-Aware and Spybot Search and Destroy for years in addition to my McAfee Antivirus.

Just a quick update. I am now current on all my Microsoft patches and all still seems to be fine (no recurrance of the malware). I did learn that the Hosts file I spoke about in my earlier message was actually not bad. It was updated with bad sites by Spybot S&D.

I don't know which of the tools you mentioned as part of HitMan Pro actually fixed the problem but at this point I don't really care. It saved me from going through the Format C: routine.

Happy Holidays everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back