Solved Google redirect toolkit

Status
Not open for further replies.

DankD

Greetings Folks and thanks in advance for any help that is offered my way.
I have been bothered by this virus for a few weeks.
I belive I have followed all the steps right.
Here are my logs.

Attachments

• mbam-log-2010-05-19 (17-13-15).txt
    878 bytes · Views: 1
  • gmer.log
    7.5 KB · Views: 2
  • DDS.txt
    14.4 KB · Views: 4
  • Attach.txt
    11.6 KB · Views: 2
Welcome to TechSpot DankD. Please run the following while I'm checking your logs:

Please download ComboFix from Here and save to your Desktop.

• [1]. Do NOT rename Combofix unless instructed.
    [2].Close/disable all anti virus and anti malware programs so they do not interfere with the running of ComboFix.
    [3].Close any open browsers.
    [4]. Double click combofix.exe & follow the prompts to run.
  • NOTE: Combofix will disconnect your machine from the Internet as soon as it starts. The connection is automatically restored before CF completes its run. If it does not, restart your computer to restore your connection.
    [5]. If Combofix asks you to install Recovery Console, please allow it.
    [6]. If Combofix asks you to update the program, always allow.
  • Please do not attempt to re-connect your machine back to the Internet until Combofix has completely finished.
    [7]. A report will be generated after the scan. Please post the C:\ComboFix.txt in next reply.
Note: Do not mouseclick combofix's window while it's running. That may cause it to stall.
Note: Make sure you re-enable your security programs, when you're done with Combofix..

Run Eset NOD32 Online AntiVirus Scanner HERE
  • Tick the box next to YES, I accept the Terms of Use.
  • Click Start
  • When asked, allow the Active X control to install
  • Disable your current Antivirus software. You can usually do this with its Notification Tray icon near the clock.
  • Click Start
  • Make sure that the option "Remove found threats" is Unchecked, and the option "Scan unwanted applications" is checked
  • Click Scan
  • Wait for the scan to finish
  • Re-enable your Antivirus software.
  • A logfile is created and located at C:\Program Files\EsetOnlineScanner\log.txt. Please include this on your post.

Leeave the new logs for me. I'll have some script for Combofix

Thanks for your help in this matter.
here are the logs as per your request
A quick note: I did disable my AV before running Cobmofix
but during scanning it said it found a toolkit and needed a restart to finish scanning.
after that was done I noticed at the top of the log it said my AV was running. I hope all is OK.
Thanks again.

Attachments

• ComboFix.txt
    10.7 KB · Views: 4
  • log.txt
    928 bytes · Views: 4
Can you tell me what this is?
E:\DENRON\ESET.SS.BE.4.0.417-UNION\ESET.Smart.Security.Business.Edition.4.0.417-UNION.exe

A friend gave me a copy of ESET to try out. That location is where it was saved to.
I have since updated with store bought version.
I must have missed deleting that folder after buying a copy.

Thanks.

Either the copy of Eset or the flash drive if it was on that had a Trojan on it.

You need to update Java to v6u20: Check this site .Java Updates Stay current as most updates are for security. Uninstall any earlier versions in Add/Remove Programs.

Please download OTMovit by Old Timer and save to your desktop.
  • Double-click OTMoveIt3.exe to run it. (Vista users, please right click on OTMoveit3.exe and select "Run as an Administrator")
  • Copy the file paths below to the clipboard by highlighting ALL of them and pressing CTRL + C (or, after highlighting, right-click and choose Copy):
    Code:
    :Processes	

:Services
    :Reg

:Files 
    E:\DENRON\ESET.SS.BE.4.0.417-UNION\ESET.Smart.Security.Business.Edition.4.0.417-UNION.exe
    :Commands
    [purity]
    [emptytemp]
    [start explorer]
    [Reboot]
  • Return to OTMoveIt3, right click in the "Paste Instructions for Items to be Moved" window and choose Paste.
  • Click the red Moveit! button.
  • A log of files and folders moved will be created in the c:\_OTMoveIt\MovedFiles folder in the form of Date and Time (mmddyyyy_hhmmss.log). Please open this log in Notepad and post its contents in your next reply.
  • Close OTMoveIt3
If a file or folder cannot be moved immediately you may be asked to reboot the machine to finish the move process. If you are asked to reboot the machine choose Yes.
========================================
Custom CFScript

• [1]. Close any open browsers.
    [2]. Close/disable all anti virus and anti malware programs so they do not interfere with the running of ComboFix.
    [3]. Open notepad and copy/paste the text in the code below into it:
Code:
File::
Folder::
DDS::
TB: {D4027C7F-154A-4066-A1AD-4243D8127440} - No File
mRun: [<NO NAME>] 
DPF: {8AD9C840-044E-11D1-B3E9-00805F499D93} - hxxp://java.sun.com/update/1.6.0/jinstall-1_6_0_19-windows-i586.cab
DPF: {CAFEEFAC-0016-0000-0019-ABCDEFFEDCBA} - hxxp://java.sun.com/update/1.6.0/jinstall-1_6_0_19-windows-i586.cab
DPF: {CAFEEFAC-FFFF-FFFF-FFFF-ABCDEFFEDCBA} - hxxp://java.sun.com/update/1.6.0/jinstall-1_6_0_19-windows-i586.cab

RegLock::
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\PCW\Security]

Driver::

FCopy::
C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386\atapi.sys | C:\Windows\System32\drivers\atapi.sy
Save this as CFScript.txt, in the same location as ComboFix.exe
CFScriptB-4.gif

Referring to the picture above, drag CFScript into ComboFix.exe

When finished, it will produce a log for you at C:\ComboFix.txt . Please attach to your next reply.
====================

Hi Bobby,

Here is the log from OTM

All processes killed
========== PROCESSES ==========
========== SERVICES/DRIVERS ==========
========== REGISTRY ==========
========== FILES ==========
E:\DENRON\ESET.SS.BE.4.0.417-UNION\ESET.Smart.Security.Business.Edition.4.0.417-UNION.exe moved successfully.
========== COMMANDS ==========

[EMPTYTEMP]

User: All Users

User: Default
->Temp folder emptied: 0 bytes
->Temporary Internet Files folder emptied: 0 bytes

User: Default User
->Temporary Internet Files folder emptied: 0 bytes

User: Denron1
->Temp folder emptied: 3546 bytes
->Temporary Internet Files folder emptied: 7058653 bytes
->Java cache emptied: 0 bytes
->FireFox cache emptied: 41373656 bytes
->Flash cache emptied: 723 bytes

User: Public

%systemdrive% .tmp files removed: 0 bytes
%systemroot% .tmp files removed: 0 bytes
%systemroot%\System32 .tmp files removed: 0 bytes
%systemroot%\System32\drivers .tmp files removed: 0 bytes
Windows Temp folder emptied: 14626 bytes
RecycleBin emptied: 0 bytes

Total Files Cleaned = 46.00 mb

OTM by OldTimer - Version 3.1.12.0 log created on 05252010_115209

Also please find attached the log from Combofix
Quick note: I almost forgot the Java update. I did the update for Java after the OTM fix but before the Combofix.
I dont think that should be a problem, If so please let me know.

Attachments

• ComboFix.txt
    9.1 KB · Views: 1
Looks pretty good. Need to replace a file, so do this first: I'm not sure where this file is kept in Windows 7.

Please download SystemLook from one of the links below and save it to your Desktop.
Download Mirror #1
Download Mirror #2

• Double-click SystemLook.exe to run it.
  • Copy the content of the following codebox into the main textfield:
    Code:
    :filefind
     atapi.*
  • Click the Look button to start the scan.
  • When finished, a notepad window will open with the results of the scan. Please post this log in your next reply.
Note: The log can also be found on your Desktop entitled SystemLook.txt

I'd also like to leave this for your reference: Windows 7 - Local Group Policy Editor
This will help you change or set any policy restrictions at your convenience.

Post the System Look log in your nxt reply and then I'll move the file.

I used SystemLook find but it came back as could not find the file.

I then tried the search again however with one less blank space in front of atapi.*
I have attached the log from that search. I belive this is what your looking for.

I also took a look at the Local Group Policy Editor you mentioned. But Im not sure what I should or should not be looking to change. Can you point me in the direction on where to look on how to configure this. Networking is the spot I have the most trouble setting up. This PC is connected to another PC as well as a laptop some times and I share files and printers across all of them.

Attachments

• SystemLook.txt
    1.6 KB · Views: 2
Sorry Dank- that space shouldn't have been there, My bad! I made 2 coding errors in what I left for you. My apology. Thank you for trying it again and having it work.

Custom CFScript

• [1]. Close any open browsers.
    [2]. Close/disable all anti virus and anti malware programs so they do not interfere with the running of ComboFix.
    [3]. Open notepad and copy/paste the text in the code below into it:
Code:
File::
Folder::
DDS::
TB: {D4027C7F-154A-4066-A1AD-4243D8127440} - No File
mRun: [<NO NAME>] 
DPF: {8AD9C840-044E-11D1-B3E9-00805F499D93} - hxxp://java.sun.com/update/1.6.0/jinstall-1_6_0_19-windows-i586.cab
DPF: {CAFEEFAC-0016-0000-0019-ABCDEFFEDCBA} - hxxp://java.sun.com/update/1.6.0/jinstall-1_6_0_19-windows-i586.cab
DPF: {CAFEEFAC-FFFF-FFFF-FFFF-ABCDEFFEDCBA} - hxxp://java.sun.com/update/1.6.0/jinstall-1_6_0_19-windows-i586.cab

Registry::
Driver::

FCopy::
C:\Windows\ERDNT\cache\atapi.sys | C:\Windows\system32\drivers\atapi.sys
Save this as CFScript.txt, in the same location as ComboFix.exe
CFScriptB-4.gif

Referring to the picture above, drag CFScript into ComboFix.exe

When finished, it will produce a log for you at C:\ComboFix.txt . Please attach to your next reply.
====================
Please update Java to v6u20:
Check this site Java Updates Stay current as most updates are for security. Uninstall any earlier versions in Add/Remove Programs

About the Group Policy. the following is a list of settings I found in the DDS log. I don't know what the Windows 7 defaults are. But if you wanted any of these changed, you would use the GP Editor:

C:\Windows\System32\svchost.exe -k LocalServiceNetworkRestricted
C:\Windows\System32\svchost.exe -k LocalSystemNetworkRestricted
C:\Windows\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs
C:\Windows\system32\svchost.exe -k LocalService
C:\Windows\system32\svchost.exe -k LocalServiceNoNetwork
C:\Windows\system32\svchost.exe -k LocalServiceAndNoImpersonation
C:\Windows\system32\svchost.exe -k NetworkServiceNetworkRestricted

Please understand that these may all be normal, legitimate settings. I would think that if all of the sharing is working, then nothing would need changing. If you can't determine if any need resetting, stop by the Windows 7 Forum on this board.

Let me know how the system is running after running the script to move the file

Thanks Bobbye, No need apology needed, especially for free help.

I ran the script in ComboFix, I have attached the log.

I updated the Java as per your request in you second reply. I double checked it this time again and the Java site says :
Congratulations!
You have the recommended Java installed (Version 6 Update 20).
I also double checked that an older version was not in my installed program list.
Is something showing up as incorrect regarding Java?

I will spend some time in the windows fourm soon to try and understand some of those GP settings.

As for how my system is running now, I havent seen the redirect and I can update windows again, so things are looking good so far.

Attachments

• ComboFix.txt
    9.4 KB · Views: 1
The Combofix report looks good. I'd like you to run one more scan- HijackThis to make sure we found all the bad entries. After I check that, I'll have you remove the cleaning tools:

Download the HijackThis Installer HERE and save to the desktop:
  1. Double-click on HJTInstall.exe to run the program.
  2. By default it will install to C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis.
  3. Accept the license agreement by clicking the "I Accept" button.
  4. Click on the "Do a system scan and save a log file" button. It will scan and then ask you to save the log.
  5. Click "Save log" to save the log file and then the log will open in notepad.
  6. Click on "Edit > Select All" then click on "Edit > Copy" to copy the entire contents of the log.
  7. Come back here to this thread and paste (Ctrl+V) the log in your next reply.

NOTE: Do NOT have HijackThis fix anything yet! Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.

I just got a Dell Mini with Windows 7- after many years with Windows XP (I skipped Vista) I may have to to stop by the Windows 7 forum to check out a few things myself!

Hey Bobbye, sorry for the delay. So far things still seem to be running smoothly.
Here is the log from HijackThis

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.4
Scan saved at 8:37:56 AM, on 6/3/2010
Platform: Windows 7 (WinNT 6.00.3504)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v8.00 (8.00.7600.16385)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\Windows\system32\taskhost.exe
C:\Windows\system32\Dwm.exe
C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET Smart Security\egui.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\GrooveMonitor.exe
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 9.0\Acrobat\acrotray.exe
C:\Program Files\Acronis\TrueImageHome\TrueImageMonitor.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\Schedule2\schedhlp.exe
C:\Program Files\Brother\ControlCenter3\brccMCtl.exe
C:\Program Files\Logitech\SetPointP\SetPoint.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\DU Meter\DUMeter.exe
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\MOM.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\LogiShrd\KHAL3\KHALMNPR.EXE
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\CCC.exe
C:\Program Files\uTorrent\uTorrent.exe
C:\Windows\explorer.exe
C:\Windows\system32\taskhost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Updater6\Adobe_Updater.exe
C:\Planit\Cabware\ltw32.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HiJackThis\HiJackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHelperStub - {18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelperShim.dll
O2 - BHO: Groove GFS Browser Helper - {72853161-30C5-4D22-B7F9-0BBC1D38A37E} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\GrooveShellExtensions.dll
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Conversion Toolbar Helper - {AE7CD045-E861-484f-8273-0445EE161910} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEFavClient.dll
O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: SmartSelect - {F4971EE7-DAA0-4053-9964-665D8EE6A077} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEFavClient.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Adobe PDF - {47833539-D0C5-4125-9FA8-0819E2EAAC93} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEFavClient.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [egui] "C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET Smart Security\egui.exe" /hide /waitservice
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BrMfcWnd] C:\Program Files\Brother\Brmfcmon\BrMfcWnd.exe /AUTORUN
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ControlCenter3] C:\Program Files\Brother\ControlCenter3\brctrcen.exe /autorun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [GrooveMonitor] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\GrooveMonitor.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Acrobat Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 9.0\Acrobat\Acrobat_sl.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Acrobat Assistant 8.0] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 9.0\Acrobat\Acrotray.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TrueImageMonitor.exe] C:\Program Files\Acronis\TrueImageHome\TrueImageMonitor.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Acronis Scheduler2 Service] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\Schedule2\schedhlp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [StartCCC] "C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\CLIStart.exe" MSRun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATICustomerCare] "C:\Program Files\ATI\ATICustomerCare\ATICustomerCare.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EvtMgr6] C:\Program Files\Logitech\SetPointP\SetPoint.exe /launchGaming
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [DU Meter] C:\Program Files\DU Meter\DUMeter.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: Append Link Target to Existing PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIEAppendSelLinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Append to Existing PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIEAppend.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert Link Target to Adobe PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIECaptureSelLinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert to Adobe PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIECapture.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: Send to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: S&end to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\REFIEBAR.DLL
O16 - DPF: {7530BFB8-7293-4D34-9923-61A11451AFC5} (OnlineScanner Control) - http://download.eset.com/special/eos/OnlineScanner.cab
O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://fpdownload2.macromedia.com/get/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab
O18 - Protocol: grooveLocalGWS - {88FED34C-F0CA-4636-A375-3CB6248B04CD} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\GrooveSystemServices.dll
O20 - AppInit_DLLs: C:\Windows\System32\acaptuser32.dll
O23 - Service: Acronis Scheduler2 Service (AcrSch2Svc) - Acronis - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\Schedule2\schedul2.exe
O23 - Service: Acronis Nonstop Backup service (afcdpsrv) - Acronis - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\CDP\afcdpsrv.exe
O23 - Service: AMD External Events Utility - AMD - C:\Windows\system32\atiesrxx.exe
O23 - Service: Brother BRAdminPro Scheduler (BRA_Scheduler) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Brother\BRAdmin Professional 3\bratimer.exe
O23 - Service: BrSplService (Brother XP spl Service) - brother Industries Ltd - C:\Windows\system32\brsvc01a.exe
O23 - Service: DU Meter Service (DUMeterSvc) - Hagel Technologies Ltd - C:\Program Files\DU Meter\DUMeterSvc.exe
O23 - Service: ESET HTTP Server (EhttpSrv) - ESET - C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET Smart Security\EHttpSrv.exe
O23 - Service: ESET Service (ekrn) - ESET - C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET Smart Security\ekrn.exe
O23 - Service: FLEXnet Licensing Service - Macrovision Europe Ltd. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Macrovision Shared\FLEXnet Publisher\FNPLicensingService.exe
O23 - Service: Logitech Bluetooth Service (LBTServ) - Logitech, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\LogiShrd\Bluetooth\lbtserv.exe
O23 - Service: Nero BackItUp Scheduler 4.0 - Nero AG - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Nero\Nero BackItUp 4\NBService.exe

--
End of file - 7100 bytes

Tell me about this please and also if it was a torrent download:

C:\Planit\Cabware\ltw32.exe

This is running: C:\Program Files\uTorrent\uTorrent.exe

P2P or 'file sharing' Warning:
Note: Even if you are using a "safe" P2P program, it is only the program that is safe. I suggest that you uninstall uTorrent for the following reasons:
  • As long as you are using file sharing networks and programs which are from sources that are not documented, you cannot verity that a download is legitimate.
  • Malware writers use these program to include malicious content.
  • Fie sharing is usually unmonitored and there is a danger that your private files might be accessed.
  • The 'sharing' also includes malware that the shared system has on it.
  • Files that are illegal can be spread through file sharing.

Please read the information on P2P Warning to help you better understand these dangers.

I don't see any Java entry- you will need that for some of the web sites:
Check this site Java Updates Stay current as most updates are for security. Uninstall any earlier versions in Add/Remove Programs.[/list]

Hi Bobbye,

About Java. I installed the latest version (v6 update 20) from the site you suggested in your first post and uninstalled all old versions, then comfirmed it when you mentioned it in your last post, and triple checked it again now. In my installed program list in Windows it does show that version 6-20 is installed and it is the only Java listed there. Again I verified the Java install from the same site I downloaded it from and it says I have the recommended Java version installed.

That file you are asking about is part of a program I use sometimes. Its work related, but on my home PC. Im self employed, so sometimes I need to do a little work from home. I guess I forgot it was running when I did the Hijack Log.
Now that I think of it, I did the Hijack log this mourning before I went to work and my PC was comming from sleep mode, should I redo the Hijack log from a fresh reboot?

Regarding utorrent, I use it for TV shows, being self employed, Im hardly home to watch live TV. Again it was running from the night before, I missed Game 3 of the Stanley Cup and want to watch it tonight xD

Thanks. Dank

Okay- just be aware that those TV show might also bring malware!

Removing all of the tools we used and the files and folders they created
  • Uninstall ComboFix and all Backups of the files it deleted
  • Click START> then RUN
  • Now type Combofix /Uninstall in the runbox and click OK. Note the space between the X and the U, it needs to be there.
    CF_Uninstall-1.jpg
  • Download OTCleanIt by OldTimer and save it to your Desktop.
  • Double click OTCleanIt.exe.
  • Click the CleanUp! button.
  • If you are prompted to Reboot during the cleanup, select Yes.
  • The tool will delete itself once it finishes.

Note: If you receive a warning from your firewall or other security programs regarding OTC attempting to contact the internet, please allow it to do so.
  • You should now set a new Restore Point and remove the old restore points to prevent infection from any previous Restore Points.
  • Go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools
  • Click "System Restore".
  • Choose "Create a Restore Point" on the first screen then click "Next".
  • Give the Restore Point a name> click "Create".
  • Go back and follow the path to > System Tools.
    [*]Choose Disc Cleanup
    [*]Click "OK" to select the partition or drive you want.
    [*]Click the "More Options" Tab.
    [*]Click "Clean Up" in the System Restore section to remove all previous Restore Points except the newly created one.

Empty the Recycle Bin

Let me know if you need any more help.

Hey Bobbie.
I removed all the programs used for cleaning and removed the old restore points and created a new restore point, as per your instructions.
Everything is still running like normal again.
Do I need to do anything else, or am i all done?
Thanks again for all your help with this.

You're welcome. Glad to help.
Do I need to do anything else, or am i all done?
All done, clean system. Here are some tips to help you stay clean. I''ll close the thread after this post:

Please follow these simple steps to keep your computer clean and secure:

Stay current on updates:
  • Visit the Microsoft Download Sitefrequently. You should get All updates marked Critical and the current SP updates.
  • Visit the Adobe Reader site and make sure you have the most current update. Uninstall any earlier updates as they are vulnerabilities.
  • Check this site often.Java Updates Stay current as most updates are for security. Uninstall any earlier versions in Add/Remove Programs.

Make Internet Explorer safer. Follow the suggestions HERE This Tutorial will help guide you through Configuring Security Settings, Managing Active X Controls and other safety features.

Do regular Maintenance
  • Remove Temporary Internet Files regularly:
    [o]ATF Cleaner by Atribune
    OR
    [o]TFC
  • Disable and Enable System Restore:
    [o]See System Restore Guide This will help you understand what this is, why you need to clean and set restore points and what information is in them.

Have layered Security:
  • Antivirus Software(only one): Both of the following programs are free and known to be good:
    [o]Avira Free
    [o]Avast Home
  • Firewall (only one): Use bi-directional firewall. Both of the following programs are free and known to be good:
    [o]Comodo
    [o] Zone Alarm
  • Antispyware: I recommend all of the following:
    [o]Spywareblaster: SpywareBlaster protects against bad ActiveX. It places kill bits to stop bad Active X controls from being installed. Remember to update it regularly.
    [o]IE/Spyad This places over 4000 websites and domains in the IE Restricted list which will severely impair attempts to infect your system. It basically prevents any downloads (Cookies etc) from the sites listed, although you will still be able to connect to the sites.
    [o]MVPS Hosts files This replaces your current HOSTS file with one containing well know ad sites etc. Basically, this prevents your computer from connecting to those sites by redirecting them to 127.0.0.1 which is your local computer.
    [o]Google Toolbar Get the free google toolbar to help stop pop up windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back