Google redirect virus redirects links to random pages, problems with iTunes, Acrobat

Status
Not open for further replies.
(I have completed the 8 Steps, logs are posted below)

DESCRIPTION:
I have read several other posts where users seem to be having similar problems as mine: clicking links in Google search results will redirect to random other sites. The most frequent redirects are to luckyresults, freshdeals, monstermarketplace, (all dot com) and comparedby(dot us), and random others. Often during the load time the interim redirecting site is 7search or ffinddirect or findshell (dot com) -- to name the most frequent ones.

To be clear, Google yields search results as normal (the redirect does not occur directly from the main search page), but when I click any of the search result links I am then redirected. Hitting back button & returning to the google search and re-clicking the link eventually gets me to the correct link, but it usually takes a few tries.

I have also had problems with being directed to a website that warns in a popup window that my computer contains viruses and redirects the browser to a site that appears to immediately initiate an online scanner. Screencapture photos are attached.

Another related symptom includes IExplorer frequently quiting/losing pages and restoring with a popup note saying "This tab has been recovered. A problem with this web page caused Internet Explorer to close and reopen the tab"

The problem has also affected other programs including iTunes, and Adobe Acrobat:

When I try to open iTunes, the program opens but immediately freezes with the popup: “iTunes has encountered a problem and needs to close. We’re sorry for the inconvenience.“ Then the Microsoft error reporting tab pops up.

Adobe Acrobat entirely fails to lauch. When I try, I get the standard microsoft error reporting popup window. I have since uninstalled Adobe Acrobat, and installed a new version of Adobe Reader. Acrobat Reader works fine (so far).

8 Step logs are attached (all dated 1-19-10). Please note that I've also attached an mbam log from a scan I ran a few days ago before going through the 8 Step process, in case the quarantine list is helpful in diagnosing the problem.

Please help! THANKS

Attachments

• mbam-log-2010-01-19 (11-50-00).txt
    887 bytes · Views: 5
  • SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log - 01-19-2010 - 12-50-28.log
    1 KB · Views: 2
  • hijackthis.log
    15.8 KB · Views: 4
  • Hoax Virus Scan webpage.JPG
    Hoax Virus Scan webpage.JPG
    99.6 KB · Views: 3
  • mbam-log-2010-01-13 (11-04-57).txt