Google Redirect

Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple of days ago I noticed that my Google Search links were being redirected and strange pop ups would occur. Before finding this Forum, I ran several Anti virus programs, cleaned out all internet files and so on. Needless to say, I'm still getting redirected searches.

I've followed the forums 8 step process and hoping one of you Bright Minds can help me. It is thoroughly appreciated.

Sam

P.S. - After doing some research, I thought that maybe it was a Favicon type related Malware. Again, I'm not sure. Just trying to give a $.02 in case it does makes sence. Thank You Again.

Attachments

• hijackthis.log
    11.4 KB · Views: 6
Don't Mean to Bump Up This Thread

If anyone has the time, please analyze my logs and see if there are any obvious problems that is creating my "Redirecting Problem" with Google Search Links.

Thanks.

So sorry! We're behind with the holidays! I'll help you here.

You have this N3 entry in the HJT log: N3 is Netscape 7x default homepage and search page URLs. Since Netscape is no longer supported, I question the need for this entry:

N3 - Netscape 7: # Mozilla User Preferences
// This is a generated file!
user_pref("browser.bookmarks.added_static_root", true);
user_pref("browser.history.last_page_visited", "http://192.168.1.254/TestRouter?clear");
user_pref("browser.search.defaultengine", "engine://C%3A%5CProgram%20Files%5CNetscape%5CNetscape%5Csearchplugins%5CSBWeb_01.src");
user_pref("browser.startup.homepage_override.mstone", "rv:1.0.2");
user_pref("intl.charsetmenu.browser.cache", "UTF-8, ISO-8859-1");
user_pref("prefs.converted-to-utf8", true);
user_pref("timebomb.first_launch_time", "1184603980109000");
user_pref("browser.helperApps.neverAsk.openFile", "application%2Fx-java-jnlp-file");
(C:\Documents and Settings\SAMUEL J. ST. GEORGE\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\default\tw5nnryl.slt\prefs.js)

Suggest you have a look here at Mozilla for handling this. I don't see Firefox running.

Othere than these, there is no indication of what is causing the redirect. I would like you to answer these though:
Since you question a Google Redirect, I'd like you to describe what's happening:
1. If you type a word in the Google search box, and then choose one of the sites that comes up, what happens?
2. Does a different site load?
3. Does any site load?
4. Are the sites the same/different?
5. Are you sure you're not seeing a Google page saying DNS server couldn't be contacted?

You have Viewpoint Media Player installed on your system. This program is not malware but it is foistware in that it is usually installed without the user's knowledge or approval, and for this reason I recommend you remove it. If you actually use this program, I recommend you try using safe and free alternatives such as VLC Media Player:

To remove, find and remove Viewpoint Media Player

Boot into Safe Mode
  • Restart your computer and start pressing the F8 key on your keyboard.
  • Select the Safe Mode option when the Windows Advanced Options menu appears, and then press ENTER.
  • Click on Start > Run and type: services.msc> OK
  • Click the "Extended tab".
  • Scroll down the list and find the service called "Viewpoint Manager Service"
  • When you find the service, double-click on it.
  • In the Properties Window > General Tab that opens, click the "Stop" button.
  • From the drop-down menu next to "Startup Type", click on "Disabled".
  • Now click "Apply", then "OK" and close any open windows.
  • Click on Start > Settings > Control Panel >Add/Remove Programs
  • Highlight and remove all references to Viewpoint - i.e. Viewpoint, Viewpoint Manager, Viewpoint Media Player.

Finally, delete the following folders if they still exist: Open Windows Explorer> Programs:
C:\Program Files\ViewManager\ <-- and delete this folder
C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\ <-- and delete this folder

Empty the Recycle Bin

At some point, you should review all the VAIO Services that are preloaded. Most don't realize they're running and most don't use them. They can be seen in the 023 entries in the HJT log.

Excuse the very very late reply . . . . After some digging around, I installed Hitman Pro and it solved the problem . . . it found some hidden Malware that none of the proposed programs on here couldn't find. I also uninstalled Adobe flash and reinstalled it . . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back