Google removes two Chrome extensions that silently served ads

By Shawn Knight
Jan 19, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Google has removed two extensions from the Chrome Web Store for violating the search giant’s terms of service. Specifically, the extensions – “Add to Feedly” and “Tweet This Page” – both included code that were used to serve advertisements according...

Read more

NTAPRO TS Evangelist Posts: 810   +102

"No ads unless it's by us!"
    matrix86 and EClyde like this.
  3. About time!
  4. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

It is unfortunate that the Feedly app had to go bad like that.
  5. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,430   +2,822

At least there are fewer ads, even if Google only allows their own. On a brighter side though, they do seem concerned about browser performance.
    NTAPRO likes this.
  6. Uninstalled chrome on all my systems long ago.
    Google is too big and knows far too much to be trusted.
  7. Boo Hoo Hoo, get over yourself. your on the internet someone knows something about you.
  8. wastedkill

wastedkill TS Evangelist Posts: 1,373   +310

Where is the system care one the one that silently adds itself to your extensions then silently puts ads on your pages and makes browsing a pain!!!! Bring out the no 3rd party app installs its really annoying google that extensions are getting silently installed without your knowledge...
  9. MasterDex

MasterDex TS Rookie

I love your blazé attitude to your internet security. Not that I wish anything bad happens to you but to be honest, it might be educational for you if something bad were to happen to you because of your approach to your security online.
  10. "Bring out the no 3rd party app installs its really annoying google that extensions are getting silently installed without your knowledge..."

They aren't getting silently installed without your knowledge. What they do AFTER they're installed is of course a point of concern, but extensions don't just suddenly magic themselves onto your hard drive. If you choose to install them then that's up to you.
  11. tommiew

tommiew TS Rookie

Does this mean I can stop using 2 of my own extensions that silently block ads?
  12. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 2,383   +105

Ad block, Blocker, FBP (facebook cleaner which basically removes ads other things also) Can tell you when your so call friend removes you off his or her friends list. Chrome can do whatever they want to do. I use Pale Moon 64-bit browser is quick but suffers from using 32-bit flash and JavaRE. Google Adsense is pushed out there to us.