TechSpot

Google reportedly considering making custom ARM-based server chips

By Shawn Knight
Dec 13, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Google is reportedly considering the option of jumping into the hardware game by designing its own server processors using ARM technology according to a source with knowledge of the matter as reported by Bloomberg. If true, the move could seriously...

Read more

2. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,147   +737

Why? Who's to say Google will be good at making chips? Intel has quite the head start and they didn't have much trouble in squashing AMD in the consumer CPU chip market.

Sure, sometimes a new competitor is able to leap-frog over an established company because they've gotten lazy and haven't progressed. But don't think that's true for Intel.

psycros and t3chn0vamp like this.
  3. psycros

psycros TS Booster Posts: 746   +235

LOL, exactly what I was going to say :)

4. Adorerai

Adorerai TS Rookie

The purpose of google designing their own chip is to better integrate their hardware and software right, or are they doing it to compete with Intel?

5. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,328   +803

I wouldn't be so confident. Sure they control the server market but success leads to complacency. Remember what happened in the desktop market a couple of years back when AMD launched their 64 bit Athlon? They had Intel sweating for a while. Even the mighty have fallen. I'd like to see Intel get a taste of their own medicine.

6. @ Skidmarksdeluxe
    But that's exactly what I think MilwaukeeMike is trying to say. Is Intel really complacent? They don't seem to to be the typical company that gets drunk off of their own success. Even after AMD "lost", they have continue to seriously work. And what exactly had Intel done to need to "get a taste of their own medicine"?

On the other hand, the competition will always be a good thing for the market since it pushes companies to continue to develop rather than stagnate. At the same time, to say that Google will "seriously threaten" Intel so definitely is really odd. It may threaten Intel but why "seriously threaten"?

7. I don't think Google will go to ARM to compete with Intel, I think if they go to ARM is to make their servers more efficient. I don't see them selling an ARM system, just building them for their own use.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.