TechSpot

Google reportedly planning expansive public Wi-Fi services for cities with Fiber coverage

By Justin Kahn
Apr 25, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Google has plans to offer public Wi-Fi in areas covered by its high-speed internet service, according to reports. The company sent out a letter to cities that are upcoming candidates for Google Fiber coverage which contained mention of its plans...

Read more

2. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,128   +731

This is pretty cool. I mean, we all know that Google makes money every time someone uses the internet because they pretty much own Search. But if their method for getting more people to use their services is to provide fast public internet access then that's cool with me. Sounds like a win-win for both us and them.

Not to mention it's probably a lot easier than project loon. http://www.google.com/loon/

3. I have Charter Communications internet service. In the last 3 years their rates have gone from $19.95/mo to $29.95/mo to $39.95/mo and now it is $54.95 without any improvement in service. Google, PLEASE expand your internet service as quickly as you can! Competition is desperately needed.

4. Project Loon is for third world countries that are not stable enough to have the proper infrastructure in place for fiber internet, not for developed countries like the U.S.

5. tonylukac

tonylukac TS Maniac Posts: 913   +22

Doesn't sound real smart. Put wifi in all cities and forget about fiber, perhaps like you mentioned mvno. It would cost a million times less. By the way, my gmail was down for 2 days. Could log on, but received no messages in my inbox.

6. Fbarnett

Fbarnett TS Enthusiast Posts: 183   +24

Who would want to send you a email anyways?

7. NTAPRO

NTAPRO TS Enthusiast Posts: 811   +91

Hope to sign up for this sometime this year. Glad to hear it's finally available

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.