Google says its made over 890 improvements to search in the past year

By Justin Kahn
Aug 20, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. While Google search may appear to some as a somewhat static service that remains generally the same year after year, the company is constantly adding updates in order to stay on top of the competition. In a recent Google+ post,...

Read more
  2. Then why everytime I search for X restaurant in google maps it shows me a bunch of others far away instead of the one im looking for that's actually close to me ?
  3. FF222

FF222 TS Booster Posts: 83   +29

Only 890 commits to the whole search engine and infrastructure in a year, from a company of the size of Google? That's really not something we should be impressed of. Most startup have far more than that with having just a single product and just a handful of users contributing to it.
    psycros likes this.
  4. psycros

psycros TS Evangelist Posts: 1,298   +668

Judging by the press release the headline should have read, "Google says its found 890 new ways to spy on and market the hell out of you." I love this gem:

Sometimes the best answer isn’t just text—if you’re asking about JFK’s “Moon Speech,” you probably want to watch John F. Kennedy deliver his famous speech.

Really? Why would they assume that? If someone is looking up something like a Kennedy speech, chances are they want copy-and-pastable facts, not YouTube advertisements. Who does Google think their fooling? And if these are what they consider "improvements", then that explains why they've completely ruined all their OTHER services.
  5. Sometimes when you try to narrow results by putting in more words, it expands the result set- what gives.
  6. And censored 90% of results.
  7. CanadEan84

CanadEan84 TS Rookie

The unit "changes" isn't exactly a standard measurement. Who knows what weight they attribute to a "change". I'm sure it's a variable depending on the context.