Google sends Street View team to map the world's tallest building

By Shawn Knight
Jun 24, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Google recently sent their Street View mapping team to Dubai to tackle the world’s tallest manmade structure - the Burj Khalifa. It marks the first time Google has captured a skyscraper using Street View and the first time Google has...

Read more
  2. VitalyT

VitalyT TechSpot Guru Posts: 1,585   +489

And inside this monstrosity they have suits that go up to $50,000 a night.

Built 100% by slaves of Dubai, to satisfy one man's ambitions, same way as the Egyptian pyramids and with the exact same sentiment.

And to think that we have evolved since then...
  3. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,775   +1,429

Whats next, Google Blueprints?
    SantistaUSA likes this.
  4. VitalyT

Unwarranted cavity search.
  5. Dubai stands as a world class example of our global idiocy; dumping money into a location in-order to produce the world's most inefficient city ever.
  6. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,021   +683

Hey, to be fair, of all the countries in the middle east at least the United Arab Emirates understands that oil isn't going to last forever. They're taking their oil money and creating a tourism destination so that when the oil dries up they'll still have a way to make money.
    Compare that to the other countries in the area, whose royalty spends the money on palaces and their own extravagant lifestyles.... when they're not financing terrorism.
  7. VitalyT

When the wells dry up they will be back to milking a donkey.
  8. cliffordcooley

I hate to say this but when that day comes, we may all be milking that donkey together.
  9. VitalyT

And who will be the donkey?
  10. H3llion

H3llion TechSpot Paladin Posts: 951   +98

Certainly not me.

Hmm, one day I must visit this all magnificent land of Dubai.
  11. NTAPRO

NTAPRO TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 807   +91

Must have a lot of easy fire exits. Wouldn't want to have to run down so many steps to escape death. Survival will only take you so far lol

12. cliffordcooley

That is where exit strategies with Google maps come in handy. lol
    NTAPRO likes this.
  13. JC713

JC713 TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 6,725   +874

Didnt Google buy a indoor mapping company? Or was that Apple or something?
  14. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,403   +832

I don't see anything to distinguish this Dubai skyscraper with royalty in other middle eastern countries. When they run out of oil, they'll be able to rent out rooms in the new palaces, and start a tourism business of their own. Sort of like the whole of Great Britain.

OTOH, how the heck will you get a jet to fly you to Dubai, without oil?:confused:

Us all in the 'hood have this all worked out. When the oil runs out, we're going to learn to rope and ride our pitbulls.

Now which one of you hardy souls wants to come over and give milkin' one of those bad a** mamas a try?:p
  15. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,831   +707

I hope the Google trolley mapped out exactly where the base jumping & rappelling equipment storage rooms are in case the building ever caught fire.
  16. Renrew

Renrew TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 235   +17

At least Dubai got something for their 13 Trillion, unlike the US where it evaporated into thin air.
  17. ReederOnTheRun

ReederOnTheRun TechSpot Booster Posts: 310   +62

I'm getting the feeling working for the Google Street View team would be a pretty awesome job.
  18. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,403   +832

Aw c'mon, admit it. You'd secretly like to be taken apart like a pharaoh, and put in canopic jars when you die. I'd think it beats getting sent up a smokestack.

And that "brain whipper" they shoved up your nose, now that'd be quite a rush.:eek:

And so ends our story. What have we learned, class? "Evolution isn't all it's cracked up to be". That's right kids, thank you and goodnight".

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.