Google slashes Drive cloud storage pricing, now starting at $1.99/month for 100GB

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Google on Thursday revealed significant price cuts for its Google Drive cloud storage and synchronization service. Effective immediately, each paid tier is now cheaper than it was yesterday which will no doubt put even more pressure on the competition.

The 15GB offering remains unchanged (I.e., free) while 100GB of online storage will now set you back just $1.99 per month, down from $4.99 previously. A full terabyte – once priced at $49.99 each month – can now be had for just $9.99. Those that need even more storage can get 10TB blocks for $99.99 each per month.

The service remains unchanged which means the storage is still available across Gmail, Google+ Photos and Drive. Existing Drive users will automatically be upgraded to a better plan at no additional cost, the company said in a blog post announcing the price cuts.

How do Google’s new prices compared to their rivals, you ask? A quick check at Dropbox reveals a 100GB plan sells for $9.99 while Microsoft charges $25 and $50 for 50GB and 100GB of storage, respectively. Of course, each service has its pros and cons to consider but at these new prices, it’ll be hard to pass over Google Drive for the value alone.

Perhaps even more interesting will be the response from the competition. As we’ve seen in the wireless industry, it only takes one provider to really shake things up and prompt change from all involved.

Permalink to story.

Do a comparison for online storage solutions with costs/storage/limitations etc. I would be eternally greatful!

Do a comparison for online storage solutions with costs/storage/limitations etc. I would be eternally greatful!

Main difference is dropbox allows you to sync to an existing folder, whereas google and most other cloud sync programs do not.

Example: lets say you reinstall windows, or you reinstall your cloud sync program... with dropbox, you can just choose an existing folder. All files will be resynced and nothing will be downloaded, saving you time and headache.

Google drive on the other hand (and most other cloud sync services) will have to waste time redownloading 50-100GB of data...

You might think you can circumvent this process by just copying the files back into the Google drive folder. But nope. Google drive is so stupid, it will rename all of your files and duplicate them into your Google Drive account.

Google, I ****ing love you guys, but god damn this is retarded. Fix your ****. And **** anyone who says I remove credibility by cussing in a comment. A fact is a fact.

Wow very impressive. $10 is a bargain for that much storage.
I was just looking at my Bing points after commenting in another thread, and for 100 pts, you get 100GB of OneDrive for 1 year. 100pts is not very many points. For comparison 1 month of Hulu Plus is 450 pts (420 for 'gold' members). I don't know anything about OneDrive, so I second @wastedkill 's suggestion for a comparison.

Wow, Microsoft charges 25$ per month for 50GB of storage and $50 per month for 100GB of storage. Gee, I didn't think it was that expensive. Did you check your facts Mr. Knight?

Wow, Microsoft charges 25$ per month for 50GB of storage and $50 per month for 100GB of storage. Gee, I didn't think it was that expensive. Did you check your facts Mr. Knight?
It's for a year, not a month. I can understand the confusion, it wasn't mentioned in the article.

Well this sounds great for everyone, specially the part that they will push competition.

I've been looking for a consolidated option to store my personal files instead of doing constant backups and this sounds like it, at $2 per month who could say no :p

A comparison chart wouldn't be bad, on a per year basis would be awesome ;)

EDIT: I just checked and the pricing is still $4,99 for the 100gb solution at least on the feature page.

Last edited:
At $50 a year, it doesn't make any sense to pay it at all. In 1 day of signing up for Bing Rewards you can have 100 points. If you already are a member, about 7 days of searching (30 searches a day) will get you a year for free. Or with one facebook referral you can 'buy' 2 years.

Unless I'm missing something super obvious, I may turn in 100 pts for a year of OneDrive even if I don't have any immediate plans for usage, just so I can get in before Microsoft realizes how drastic the price vs bing points is.

At $50 a year, it doesn't make any sense to pay it at all. In 1 day of signing up for Bing Rewards you can have 100 points. If you already are a member, about 7 days of searching (30 searches a day) will get you a year for free. Or with one facebook referral you can 'buy' 2 years.

Unless I'm missing something super obvious, I may turn in 100 pts for a year of OneDrive even if I don't have any immediate plans for usage, just so I can get in before Microsoft realizes how drastic the price vs bing points is.

Yeah... why wouldnt you?? I'm doing it right now... !

After it closed would you trust them with your files? I know I wouldn't.

I rather pay a bit more for Google or Microsoft solutions which are pretty trustworthy in the way that they won't drop cold over a month.

Now I will admit that the Bing rewards thing seems like a pretty sweet deal. However, a year or two with any of these services, and it would be cheaper just to buy a hard drive, not to mention that downloading that much data over the internet would take too long, and in countries where we have BS data caps, is just not practical.

On a side note: why bother trusting any of them, when you can trust yourself.

Now I will admit that the bing rewards thing seems like a pretty sweet deal. However, a year or two with any of these services, and it would be cheaper just to buy a harddrive, not to mention that downloading that much data over the internet would take too long, and in countries where we have BS data caps, is just now pratical.

The whole idea of cloud storage is to have a backup of your data you can access anywhere and everywhere, also I've found the folder sharing option very productive, I work with a couple of coleagues through projects, we share one folder and every change any of us makes to a file is then synchronized to the rest with version history logs and the ability to recover files to past states. Yes, you can buy a hard drive and it might be cheaper, what if someone breaks into your house and steals your computer?

The pros to having a space in the cloud is mainly to backup and access, it won't work for storing a 1080p movie, that would be stupid. It's meant to store those things you need access and couldn't recover otherwise (Like family photos, or documents), or for productivity and sharing.

It's also something very useful when you have multiple computers, for example if I have to work on the road, I get back home and keep on working on the main computer without having to move files with external storage or through the network, it's a seamless solution.

The whole idea of cloud storage is to have a backup of your data you can access anywhere and everywhere, also I've found the folder sharing option very productive, I work with a couple of coleagues through projects, we share one folder and every change any of us makes to a file is then synchronized to the rest with version history logs and the ability to recover files to past states. Yes, you can buy a hard drive and it might be cheaper, what if someone breaks into your house and steals your computer?

The pros to having a space in the cloud is mainly to backup and access, it won't work for storing a 1080p movie, that would be stupid. It's meant to store those things you need access and couldn't recover otherwise (Like family photos, or documents), or for productivity and sharing.

It's also something very useful when you have multiple computers, for example if I have to work on the road, I get back home and keep on working on the main computer without having to move files with external storage or through the network, it's a seamless solution.

Don't get me wrong, I use it, for files that I need for work and school. However I would never dream of paying for more storage.

@Matt12345170 Yeah, when I was in grad school I used dropbox a lot, heard too many horror stories of people 'losing their thesis'. I've had my share of hd failures, that and my time here, has always lead to me never having important data in only 1 location. So dropbox was a great solution for that.

I have no idea why I would need 100GB of online storage though. 100GB isn't anything compared to buying a hard drive, and my internet speeds (especially upload) aren't conducive to putting that much data online when I have over 10TB of storage among my computers at home.

I was just looking at my Bing points after commenting in another thread, and for 100 pts, you get 100GB of OneDrive for 1 year. 100pts is not very many points. For comparison 1 month of Hulu Plus is 450 pts (420 for 'gold' members). I don't know anything about OneDrive, so I second @wastedkill 's suggestion for a comparison.
Yeah that is true, but it is only for a year. But then again, you could argue that you could make enough points to extend that once the year is up. You make a good point my friend!

Yeah that is true, but it is only for a year. But then again, you could argue that you could make enough points to extend that once the year is up. You make a good point my friend!

As long as it's kept that way, if things changes in that year you probably will have to pay to keep the same amount of storage online (If you are using it to full). Most probably online space will dimish it's costs even more along with data plans.

Just maybe :p

Back