Google solves privacy dilemma that derailed Glass

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Google essentially went back to the drawing board early this year with Glass. The experimental project gained quite a bit of traction in the tech community before privacy concerns all but derailed its momentum.

A revised version of Google Glass is currently being developed and overseen by Nest chief Tony Fadell. We were told a few months ago that the new version would be out soon and just last week, a mysterious device that could very well be the new wearable passed through the FCC.

9to5Google has been hot on the trail and has managed to gather a wealth of new information on what’s being called the Enterprise Edition, or EE, of Google Glass.

The new eyewear is said to feature a larger prism that’s powered by a beefier Intel Atom processor. The larger prism will help reduce eye strain and presumably allow for a wider field of view. Intel’s chip, meanwhile, will offer improved performance and is more energy efficient, resulting in slightly better battery life. Overall heat management has been improved as well.

Even with the Atom chip, battery life is still a concern for all-day use. To help solve this issue, Google has apparently developed external battery packs that extend the life of Glass throughout the day. The Enterprise Edition will also have 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac dual-band Wi-Fi, just as the recent FCC filing referenced.

The big takeaway is that Google appears to be repositioning Glass for the workplace. Diverting attention away from public settings effectively eliminates privacy concerns and is a smart move on Google’s part. It allows them to continue to develop Glass without the nasty stigma associated with the Explorer Edition.

It’s possible that a consumer model could arrive at a later date but Google would still need to solve the privacy dilemma before that happens.

Permalink to story.

You should be ashamed of yourself for publishing that headline.

Yup, the headline is the complete opposite of the last line of the article.
I think Google should call this the Google Enterprise Edition Kit. Bonus points if you can change it to GECK.

By solving the problem you mean completely changing the intended environment and userbase? That's not solving anything...

You know I don't see companies that sell spy pen cams and matchbox cams, zippo lighter cams etc etc facing all this massive public outcry of privacy concern so what is the big deal over the Google glasses.

By solving the problem you mean completely changing the intended environment and userbase? That's not solving anything...
My thoughts, too. As soon as one of them pesky desk jockeys gets out of the office, all bets are off. Classic case of diverting the public's attention.

Diverting attention away from public settings effectively eliminates privacy concerns and is a smart move on Google’s part

I don't understand what that means... What did they do, and how did that eliminate privacy concerns?

OK, you mean to tell me there are no privacy concerns in the workplace? I agree that there are probably less, but privacy is still an issue.

For the most part YES they did solve the privacy issue. By not focusing on the public market where the main concerns were based and using it more as a business tool. As much as you might think there are still issues with this you are most likely wrong. When your at work your only private moment is when your in the facilities. That can be fixed by simply dictating zones that the glasses pick up on with GPS that tell them to block certain functions while inside that area. Its the same with any other laptop, tablet, smartphone, or other device. If your using the company network then you are already willingly disclosing your privacy to what ever is on that device. You don't have to agree with it but it is the truth.

When your at work your only private moment is when your in the facilities.
And you are wrong. How many times do people call up confedential information while they are working through out the day. People have their own identities while working that should remain just as private to them as their home life.

Back