Google surprises all, publishes developer preview of Android N much earlier than usual

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Google surprised everyone on Wednesday by launching a developer preview of its next major Android release, Android N. Traditionally, Google waits until its annual I/O developer conference in May / June to showcase its latest mobile operating system.

In a post on the Android developers blog, VP of Engineering Dave Burke said they're trying something a little different this year by releasing the preview early. The idea is to give them more time to incorporate developer feedback and ultimately, ship the final release to device makers this summer.

So, what's new in Android N?

Split-screen multi-tasking appears to be the signature feature of Android N, allowing users to utilize two different apps at once either side-by-side or one-above-the-other. On TV devices, apps can use picture-in-picture mode to continue video playback while users perform other tasks.

Other changes include data saver mode and the ability to block calls and texts at the system level as well as new notification management and improved Java 8 language support. More new features are bound to crop up in the coming days and weeks as developers get their mitts on the OS.

Android N is available now for select Nexus devices (Nexus 6, Nexus 5X, Nexus 6P, Nexus Player and Pixel C) as an over-the-air download.

Google isn't yet ready to reveal Android N's official name with SVP of Android, Chrome and Chrome OS, Hiroshi Lockheimer, teasing on Medium that they're "nut tellin'" yet. So yeah, either that's a major troll job or we're looking at Android Nutella.

Mockup via TechCrunch

Permalink to story.

Last year google and ms said they came out with the last version of os, and only add security updates to the os. ms then came out with win 10.0.1 and now android comes with n. just shows that the biggest firms, arent trustable.

Last year google and ms said they came out with the last version of os, and only add security updates to the os. ms then came out with win 10.0.1 and now android comes with n. just shows that the biggest firms, arent trustable.

What???? For Real they came out saying that they were done developing OS? Really??

You are really telling me that system developing companies just said, we are not developing systems anymore? Pics or didn't happen...

LOL did stopped the Chorme OS as it is. But the Android will always continue... As for Microsoft the OS will stay as 10 but you must update the system to protect it from new treats and fix bugs... So it can be 10.0.100 but it will always be Windows 10. Your argument is pointless.

I don't think they surprised anyone much less 'everyone' lol. Was anyone not expecting the next iteration of Android from the time marshmallow hit? I guess the surprise is the switch from deserts to sandwich spreads as a naming convention.

I don't think they surprised anyone much less 'everyone' lol. Was anyone not expecting the next iteration of Android from the time marshmallow hit? I guess the surprise is the switch from deserts to sandwich spreads as a naming convention.

The surprise comes from revealing it before the I/O developer conference, do you even read bro

It was no surprise to me, bro, or sis ads the case may be, I don't want to be sexist. I doubt it was a surprise to many at all in the industry either.

Since when was a Kit-Kat a desert?

MS said no major version will be launch, but they will continue to develop Windows 10. TH2 before and now Redstone are part of that strategy.

Since when is Windows 10.0.1 new version of Windows?

What???? For Real they came out saying that they were done developing OS? Really??

You are really telling me that system developing companies just said, we are not developing systems anymore? Pics or didn't happen...
guess you are new on the geek market :) google is your friend ;)

LOL did stopped the Chorme OS as it is. But the Android will always continue... As for Microsoft the OS will stay as 10 but you must update the system to protect it from new treats and fix bugs... So it can be 10.0.100 but it will always be Windows 10. Your argument is pointless.
well, im just waiting for win 11 or 12, since 10 isnt stable for my gaming. so lets see ;)

Since when is Windows 10.0.1 new version of Windows?
look at your numbers again, and you see that its no longer version 10, but version 10.0,1

look at your numbers again, and you see that its no longer version 10, but version 10.0,1
Since you have such good memory, do you also remember that Microsoft said they will add incremental updates to Windows 10? Now if they do that how are they gonna know on which version they are currently? I think they will add some numbers like 10.0.1 to let you know it's updated. That doesn't make it a new version of Windows.

Since you have such good memory, do you also remember that Microsoft said they will add incremental updates to Windows 10? Now if they do that how are they gonna know on which version they are currently? I think they will add some numbers like 10.0.1 to let you know it's updated. That doesn't make it a new version of Windows.
In fact it's the same kernal since NT. The current version is 6.3 on Windows 10. (HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurentVersion\CurrentVersion)

guess you are new on the geek market :) google is your friend ;)

I think he was trolling....

they also said win 10 would install updates without reboot, like mac os. but, win still needs reboot.

they also said win 10 would install updates without reboot, like mac os. but, win still needs reboot.
Show where you read that on an ms page.
I think you misunderstood. Windows 10 now allows you to specify a time for the computer to reboot after updates are installed to finish the installation
By the way, OSX updates do require a restart.
Any time a file in use is udayed a restart is required to complete.

Back