TechSpot

Google takes on home automation with Android @ Home

By Jos
May 11, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Google kicked off its I/O conference in San Francisco yesterday by announcing a new version of Honeycomb, its next-gen "Ice Cream Sandwich" Android release, and their much rumored music service.…

Read the whole story
  2. bielius

bielius TechSpot Booster Posts: 227   +14

What's next? They will want to control my underpants?
  3. No, but they will know when you flush the toilet! :)

Probably text you a related toilet paper add at the same time.
  4. crazy i dont like this at all!
  5. Chazz

Chazz TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 632   +60

Next google will announce to it's shareholders the new AdHome kit.
  6. PanicX

PanicX TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 829

I've looked into home automation before and the costs are way out of proportion for any practical installation. I'd love for this to drive down the costs and make it viable for average home owners.
  7. Cota

Cota TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 521   +8

SKYNET 1ST ATTEMPT!!!11 BEWARE!!!11
  8. Lokalaskurar

Lokalaskurar TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 616

Yeah, but first you'll need a four-digit code for your zipper.
  9. That's cool that Google wants to do this, but places like Control4 have been doing this for years already and have a lot more capabilities.
  10. Better be more than 4 digits or someone else could easily "brute force" your zipper open, Technically that could count as rape.
  11. This is good and bad for the home automation industry. First the good is that it is bringing light on a product that isn't all about techno gizmos that people think is too difficult or too expensive to have in an average home. The bad is that there is so much more that these systems can control and that Google has their hands in everything I am sure it is not going to work as smoothly as the proprietary systems they were claiming could rival.

As for costs I see in the remarks yes these systems do cost but they also have proven they can reduce utility and entertainment (cable/dish) monthly costs and there trully is a ROI on this product. Plus it also increases the value of your home.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.