Google Technology Explained...

Status
Not open for further replies.

lokem

Here's an insight to Google's technology:

The technology behind Google's great results
http://www.google.com/technology/pigeonrank.html

As a Google user, you're familiar with the speed and accuracy of a Google search. How exactly does Google manage to find the right results for every query as quickly as it does? The heart of Google's search technology is PigeonRank™, a system for ranking web pages developed by Google founders Larry Page and Sergey Brin at Stanford University.

Building upon the breakthrough work of B. F. Skinner, Page and Brin reasoned that low cost pigeon clusters (PCs) could be used to compute the relative value of web pages faster than human editors or machine-based algorithms. And while Google has dozens of engineers working to improve every aspect of our service on a daily basis, PigeonRank continues to provide the basis for all of our web search tools.

Good stuff...

Originally posted by poertner_1274
If you can't find something on google I don't think you can find it at all....
Google is my homepage :)

I agree Poert, I use to be a religious Alta Vista user until I found Google, now it graces my toolbar.

Has anyone been on Google on a holiday when they decorate their name. It's a nice personnal touch!!

I agree Poert, I use to be a religious Alta Vista user until I found Google, now it graces my toolbar.

Has anyone been on Google on a holiday when they decorate their name. It's a nice personnal touch!!

I especially like their personal touch :D The drawings are also quite humourous. Hehe... Hopefully the "new" search engine Teoma won't be of any threat to Google. But by the looks of it, Teoma looks similar to Google in certain way... Well, duh, they're both search engines {g}

Originally posted by lokem

I especially like their personal touch :D The drawings are also quite humourous. Hehe... Hopefully the "new" search engine Teoma won't be of any threat to Google. But by the looks of it, Teoma looks similar to Google in certain way... Well, duh, they're both search engines {g}

I don't think that is a very wise statement. I mean we all had our own little search engine before Google came along and thought we wouldn't change for anything. And then Google comes and revolutionizes the search engine industry. I, for one, hope this new search engine has something even better than Google, so that my searches keep getting better and more accurate. Technology is a very good thing, and the breakthroughs should not be shunned.

Granted I love Google too, but I'm not too close-minded to not change if something better comes along, whenever that may be.

Very well put Super, Like I said, I liked Alta Vista until somehow I changed my ways and started using Google. I can be changed again if its better.

Originally posted by boeingfixer
Very well put Super, Like I said, I liked Alta Vista until somehow I changed my ways and started using Google. I can be changed again if its better.
You just reminded me of the Alta Vista days and when Google was still at beta. Strange, isn't the the same situation Teoma is in right now? ;)

Originally posted by lokem

You just reminded me of the Alta Vista days and when Google was still at beta. Strange, isn't the the same situation Teoma is in right now? ;)

Yeah, kinda funny how that technology thing works out huh ??

Originally posted by boeingfixer

Yeah, kinda funny how that technology thing works out huh ??

Indeed. It's good that way since we get to use the best and fastest around. W/o such competition, we'll still be stucked with the "traditional" search engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back