TechSpot

Google tightens Chrome security, bans extensions from outside sources

1. Google has announced it will lo longer allow installing Chrome browser extensions in Windows unless they come from the Chrome Web Store. The new policy goes into effect starting January for the stable and beta channels, meaning the change will mostly...

Read more

2. wastedkill

wastedkill TS Maniac Posts: 1,191   +244

Atleast be intelligent about it give us advanced users a button to allow installation of outside extensions!

dgoodchild likes this.
  3. Satki

Satki TS Member Posts: 23

Proxtube isn't available on the chrome store, I wonder how long adblock will last?

4. Serag

Serag TS Enthusiast Posts: 179

I think Google is pretty satisfied with the recent changes with Adblock Plus, the "none-intrusive ads" being allowed by default and the complications of adding filters upon fresh installs "I realized a lot of people I know have adblock plus installed on chrome without having any actual filters working"

5. dgoodchild

dgoodchild TS Rookie

I completely agree with wastedkill. Make it optional like it is on my Android tablet. I don't even mind if they want to disable 3rd party downloads by default but give those of us who know better than to click 'OK' every time a box pops up the option to get extensions from wherever we want.

This sort of thing is *exactly* why I refuse to buy Apple products. It's my device; I bought it. I don't need, don't want and won't tolerate the manufacturer telling me what I am and am not allowed to do with it. I'm disappointed to see Google taking the first steps down that road.

mosu likes this.
  6. It's not about security for gods sake - this is yet another opportunity to make another walled garden.

7. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,983   +957

So, the bottom line is, soon you'll have to pay for extensions that you could get for free in Firefox! And Google gets a cut.

Hm.......But hey, it's all in the name of "security" of course....Good lookin' out there Google.

Well that settles it for me, "Chrome" is the "best browser ever". I hope and pray that I have the good fortune to run into one of Google's drive by downloads of it......

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.