Google to quietly move away from Gears, adopt HTML 5

By Jos
Dec 1, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. It's been more than two years since Google launched Gears in an effort to bring offline capabilities to web-based applications. But after the initial excitement over the browser extension and subsequent inclusion in Chrome, it looks like the search giant is scaling back support for the tool.

Read the whole story
  2. matchu

matchu TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 111

Nice. Looking forward to the next html. It's cool watching html change over the past decade. Especially can't wait to get rid of the need for all these plugins...
  3. AfricanTech

AfricanTech Newcomer, in training Posts: 71

Wonder if they'll offer a migration path - i use gears to host my gmail offline and that's gotten pretty big by now - would hate to have to redownload the whole lot especially here in land of bandwidth starvation of ridiculous data caps!
  4. Se7enVII

Se7enVII Newcomer, in training Posts: 49

Good to see more HTML 5 adoption. I've always thought offline functionality with web apps is a really great idea and didn't even know it was part of the HTML 5 spec. I'd like to see whether Chrome OS has any effect on HTML 5 adoption in the next year or so and how quickly Microsoft adopts it in their IE web browser.
  5. harby

harby Newcomer, in training Posts: 37

Yay for HTML 5!
  6. Serag

Serag TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 179

A huge step "since from google" in the way of HTML5 adoption...
    looking forward for more..
  7. manintech

manintech Newcomer, in training Posts: 46

I think google is doing the right thing: follow the standard rather than forcing others to follow their standard, while microsoft always does the opposite
  8. SuperSmith

SuperSmith Newcomer, in training

It's good to see that Google is still looking forward despite the difficulties with attempting to move Chrome to the Mac OS. Personally, I think they should have built Gears from scratch if it was not working with the Mac OS purely because they were advertising it as an identical product to the PC versions. I wonder why they released the download if they knew Gears was not going to work (and if they didn't then they didn't test it properly which is something I don't expect from a giant such as Google).

All that aside, HTML 5 seems to be exactly what they need to have a universal system. I can't wait to see how it pans out. I wonder when the language is going to be finished for commercial use.
  9. vangrat

vangrat Newcomer, in training Posts: 223

I tried to get into HTML in the past but it changed and added so much so quickly that I just couldn't keep up. WYSIWYG is my best friend...
  10. ET3D

ET3D TechSpot Paladin Posts: 948   +28

The HTML 5 offline features are described here: http://www.w3.org/TR/offline-webapps/

Must say I didn't know about them, either. It's good they're there, and I think this makes it even more likely that multi-platform cloud apps will become the norm. If the rumour that the PS3 will get Firefox is true, it could really become a nice PC alternative.
  11. saintbodhisatva

saintbodhisatva Newcomer, in training Posts: 59

The specification looks more like JavaScript than HTML. Good to know though that Google will be complying with HTML5 features instead of insisting on purely "Gears"

12. freedomthinker

freedomthinker TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 140

Well we will see how things go so far ;)
  13. Puiu

Puiu TechSpot Addict Posts: 1,022   +87

Standardization is the way to go. Google played it's cards well and they abandoned Gears before HTML5 even hit the streets.
  14. kaonis92

kaonis92 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 117

HTML 5 will also be adopted by youtube, lets see...
  15. swilllx2p

swilllx2p Newcomer, in training Posts: 133

Yeah I'd prefer to see the standardization like many others when it comes to this. It just makes things so much easier imo. I've tried to get into HTML design before and just couldn't get myself motivated enough for it..maybe i'll give it another go.
  16. BlackIrish

BlackIrish Newcomer, in training Posts: 84

Yeah HTML 5 will be really good once it gets used by video sites and such - so long flash!
  17. AbsolutGaloot

AbsolutGaloot Newcomer, in training Posts: 92

I certainly wouldn't miss having to install Flash all the time, and have it be so fussy. Not to mention, integrated HTML5 support will be much easier for devs to design for multiplatform, eliminating this "oh, sorry, we can't run flash so you're out of luck" nonsense.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.