Google tries to trademark 'Glass', trademark office rejects the application

1. Google's strive to trademark the word 'Glass' has been smashed by the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO), according to a Wall Street Journal report.

Read more
  2. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

Google trademarking "Glass" is like Microsoft trademarking "Computer"...
  3. wastedkill

wastedkill TS Evangelist Posts: 1,373   +310

Its also like a bathesda patenting "scrolls"... they did do that.... and ye it shouldn't be allowed its like me trademarking "oxygen"
    cmbjive and Jad Chaar like this.
  4. Jad Chaar

Exactly. It is BS xD.
    cmbjive likes this.
  5. cmbjive

cmbjive TS Booster Posts: 777   +137

I think I'm going to patent "car" and "house".
  6. wastedkill

wastedkill TS Evangelist Posts: 1,373   +310

I'm already in the process of patenting "apple", "google", "micro", "soft", "government" looking at our system and the previous accepted patents it is clear I will get these patents then I will make billions suing people, hey I might do what apple did and patent phone diamaters and corners.
  7. GhostRyder

GhostRyder You know, that one guy with the PC Posts: 2,189   +589

Im going to Patent the English language so everyone owes me money every time they speak!

But anyway, the idea of trademarking the word 'Glass' is pretty stupid in general. But I guess its sorta no different from patenting the name iPhone or the likes. Just happens their product name is something used in tons of different meanings and cannot be controlled by one corporation. I guess if it did get patented, window companies could change the name from panes of glass to Panes of transparency.
    Jad Chaar likes this.
  8. Guy sitting at his desk looking at the paperwork for glass and thinks what will Apple think of next and just as he is about to stamp 'approved' he catches a glimpse of the Google name and say's "I think not" or the clerk checked his bank account and since there was no extra money he stamped disapproved.
  9. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,550   +594

Are you kidding me? What a colossal waste of time and expense. Just shows how Google can be pretty stupid sometimes with their money.
  10. Cycloid Torus

Cycloid Torus TS Evangelist Posts: 1,524   +288

If they are so smart, why not trademark "GGlass" (with a silent G)?
  11. Cycloid Torus

Cycloid Torus TS Evangelist Posts: 1,524   +288

Or, maybe it is a silent second G...
  12. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,729   +1,093

Glad I wasn't drinking anything when I read that or I would have spit all over the monitor. Glass' popularity?! What bubble are they living in?! Maybe it's because I live in a technological dessert here in the midwest, but Glass is NOT popular enough to take over the word the way Band-Aid took over adhesive bandages and Kleenex took over nose-tissues. To date I've seen 1 person wearing Glass... ever. By comparison, I've seen 3 Tesla Model S cars and those are $60,000+ with a waiting list and aren't sold in Wisconsin. Sorry Google... keep dreaming.
  13. Per Hansson

Per Hansson TS Server Guru Posts: 1,926   +185

Uhh no, it would be like Microsoft trademarking a common thing, made out of glass:
    -Oh wait, snap
  14. Jad Chaar

LMAO this made my day.
  15. Silly Google, they'll never be able to trademark the American spelling of Glass. They should go for the English spelling.... Glarse.
  16. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,456   +1,759

You do understand that, "patent", and, "trademark", are two entirely different things......,er don't you?:oops:
  17. Moxiy

Moxiy TS Member Posts: 38

Why would someone what to trademark glass?? Because you have a product with that name doesn't mean you own it...
  18. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,456   +1,759

I actually think they could trade mark it, if they were to use it as part of the word "Google".

I may be wrong, but I would have thought, you could get away with "Googleglass", Googleglasses", or possibly, "Googleglas", maybe even, "Goolgleglaz".

Then all you would have to do is heavily stylize the printing style, an ye got yerself a trademark. O, "Marca Registrada, si ustedes prefieren.

That's not really the British, is it?

You just rang in to see if you could get away with "arse", that's my theory, and I'm sticking to it...;)
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  19. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,335   +1,936

Coca Cola's stylized font is trade marked so I don't see Why Google can't trademark 'glass' in their stylized font but having said that if someone handed me a 1928 page report to read why they should I'd turf it in the bin.
  20. I wonder if anyone has filed a trademark application for the term "Gl*******" yet.
  21. cmbjive

cmbjive TS Booster Posts: 777   +137

Yes, I do. Thus, the quote.