Google tries to trademark 'Glass', trademark office rejects the application

Himanshu Arora

Staff

Google’s strive to trademark the word 'Glass' has been smashed by the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO), according to a Wall Street Journal report.

The search giant, which already has the trademark for 'Google Glass', attempted to register the single word 'Glass', displayed in the same futuristic font which is used in its marketing, as the trademark for their wearable technology. But the trademark office raised a couple of objections.

Firstly, the agency said that trademarking the term 'Glass' could lead to a risk of consumer confusion, as it would be too similar to the other existing or pending trademark applications that contain the word 'Glass'.

Secondly, the agency argued that the term 'Glass' can’t be trademarked under federal law because it is "merely descriptive", and the law says that you can't trademark a word that describes a product, even if it has a distinctive font.

Google disagreed and defended their stand. In response, the company's trademark lawyers wrote back a 1,928 paged letter to the agency arguing that consumers won't be confused by the term 'Glass' because of its popularity.

They also disagreed on the second point stating that “the frame and display components of the Glass device do not consist of glass at all,” but are made from titanium and plastic.

Apart from the trademark agency, Border Stylo, LLC, a company that develops a browser extension called “Write on Glass”, is also opposing the search giant's trademark application.

Permalink to story.

I think I'm going to patent "car" and "house".

I'm already in the process of patenting "apple", "google", "micro", "soft", "government" looking at our system and the previous accepted patents it is clear I will get these patents then I will make billions suing people, hey I might do what apple did and patent phone diamaters and corners.

Im going to Patent the English language so everyone owes me money every time they speak!

Mr._Krabs'_Love_of_Money.jpg

But anyway, the idea of trademarking the word 'Glass' is pretty stupid in general. But I guess its sorta no different from patenting the name iPhone or the likes. Just happens their product name is something used in tons of different meanings and cannot be controlled by one corporation. I guess if it did get patented, window companies could change the name from panes of glass to Panes of transparency.

Guy sitting at his desk looking at the paperwork for glass and thinks what will Apple think of next and just as he is about to stamp 'approved' he catches a glimpse of the Google name and say's "I think not" or the clerk checked his bank account and since there was no extra money he stamped disapproved.

Are you kidding me? What a colossal waste of time and expense. Just shows how Google can be pretty stupid sometimes with their money.

In response, the company's trademark lawyers wrote back a 1,928 paged letter to the agency arguing that consumers won't be confused by the term 'Glass' because of its popularity.
Glad I wasn't drinking anything when I read that or I would have spit all over the monitor. Glass' popularity?! What bubble are they living in?! Maybe it's because I live in a technological dessert here in the midwest, but Glass is NOT popular enough to take over the word the way Band-Aid took over adhesive bandages and Kleenex took over nose-tissues. To date I've seen 1 person wearing Glass... ever. By comparison, I've seen 3 Tesla Model S cars and those are $60,000+ with a waiting list and aren't sold in Wisconsin. Sorry Google... keep dreaming.

Silly Google, they'll never be able to trademark the American spelling of Glass. They should go for the English spelling.... Glarse.

Why would someone what to trademark glass?? Because you have a product with that name doesn't mean you own it...

Why would someone what to trademark glass?? Because you have a product with that name doesn't mean you own it...
I actually think they could trade mark it, if they were to use it as part of the word "Google".

I may be wrong, but I would have thought, you could get away with "Googleglass", Googleglasses", or possibly, "Googleglas", maybe even, "Goolgleglaz".

Then all you would have to do is heavily stylize the printing style, an ye got yerself a trademark. O, "Marca Registrada, si ustedes prefieren.

Silly Google, they'll never be able to trademark the American spelling of Glass. They should go for the English spelling.... Glarse.
That's not really the British spelling....er, is it?

You just rang in to see if you could get away with "arse", that's my theory, and I'm sticking to it...;)

Last edited:
Coca Cola's stylized font is trade marked so I don't see Why Google can't trademark 'glass' in their stylized font but having said that if someone handed me a 1928 page report to read why they should I'd turf it in the bin.

I wonder if anyone has filed a trademark application for the term "Gl*******" yet.

Back