Google updates its search engine to demote piracy sites, highlight legal content

1. In an effort to curb online piracy, Google will be rolling out an update to its search engine this week that will "visibly affect" the rankings of some of the most "notorious" sites, the company announced in a blog post.

Read more
  2. Oh no
  3. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,457   +1,759

And, in spite of its lofty goals and motive, it favors those who hand Google money for advertising. Or perhaps ends one aspect of what some would call, "net neutrality".

Arguably, there is enough duplicity in this, "blog", to reclassify it as a right wing campaign speech.
  4. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 2,383   +105

I'll use other browsers that don't impact me with so much ads after I search for things. Chrome won't block out some ads now since they own/run
  5. my friend.
  6. demonlord721

demonlord721 TS Member Posts: 23

So what they are saying is that if they do this fairly then Googles own Youtube won't show up in their own rankings because if I'm not mistaken they have some of the highest counts of DCMA notices out of any site. Of course this won't be the case but if were done purely by DCMA notices it would.
  7. Radient

Radient TS Rookie Posts: 43

Goodbye google hello duckduckgo