Google+ users can now e-mail you without knowing your address

By Shawn Knight
Jan 10, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Google has added a new feature to its social network that will allow users to e-mail any of their Google+ contacts and vice versa without actually knowing their e-mail address. Specifically, members can opt to receive correspondence from those in...

Read more

NTAPRO TS Evangelist Posts: 810   +102

Alternate way of stalking people without facebook?
  3. Privacy means Jack Sh*t to this insidious corporation!
  4. lipe123

lipe123 TS Evangelist Posts: 633   +163

#1 When you sign up for a public email and google+ account you are not trying to be private
    #2 You can choose who can contact you: friends, friends of friends, nobody

Read before you drivel some privacy nonsense please.
  5. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,430   +2,822

I just logged into google+ and was looking around the settings page. The only settings I see for selecting who can, is for notifications. There was no settings for who can send an Email directly to you. People emailing you is not the same thing as notifications.
  6. matrix86

matrix86 TS Guru Posts: 811   +26

7. yorro

yorro TS Booster Posts: 250

"Specifically, members can OPT to receive correspondence from those in their circles, extended circles, anyone on Google+ or choose not to participate at all."

"Users will receive an e-mail when the OPTION is available to them."
  8. wujj123456

wujj123456 TS Enthusiast Posts: 32   +6

Given all these stuff, why not just cancel your GG+ account? It's mostly a ghosttown anyway, right?
  9. cliffordcooley

Good luck with that, the account is tied to all of Google services. Same thing for Microsoft, their account is tied to everyone of their services. You would have to stop using any of their services before you could close the account. I don't use their services, but once upon a time I used both Google and Microsoft for some BS reason and now I have an user account with both companies. I might as well keep them, who knows when I will want to use them again.
  10. wujj123456

I actually already did that last time they messed with Youtube stuff. It's possible and better than I expected. You will be left with a Gmail/Google account without Google+ profile, just as if you've never joined Google+. So you won't be able to comment on Youtube/Google Play. Hangout falls back to Gtalk interface (but you can still do video chat). Public profiles and your circles are gone, but your contacts are still there. Calendars, google drive, Google Play are still there.

I am sure it will get worse overtime given how dedicated Google is to push GG+. For now, it seems OK, just that Google will keep grepping my emails.
  11. cliffordcooley

Ahh, so it was the profile you cleared?
  12. wujj123456

It's called "Disable my Google+ account" if I remembered correctly. I think I launched it from my phone, and clicked quite a few confirmations. It indeed kills the entire social network part of my Google account (which I believe most people don't use anyway). That's why I said GG+ account, not Google account in my first post.
    cliffordcooley likes this.