TechSpot

Google-VMware deal brings Windows desktops and applications to Chrome OS

By Jos
Feb 13, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Chromebooks are slowly gaining traction among consumers as most of the average user's computing activities can be done through a web browser nowadays. But making strides into the business world poses different challenges as companies depend on legacy software and...

Read more

2. That sucks. You still does NOT run a local software! You STILL have to have a network connection... So, I see no point in that.

3. The icons' arrangement reminds me of Mac OS X's launchpad and the taskbar reminds me of Windows 7. Too bad it doesn't have the productivity of either OS, and this won't make much of a difference.

4. This sounds like a good thing. Hopefully people will embrace this feature so they can ween themselves from Microsoft's treadmill.

5. This feature is a poor substitute for native Windows environment since it severely diminish the performance any software people use. If you want to ween themselves from Microsoft's treadmill then tell Google to start persuading the vendors to release native versions of their products for Chromebooks.

6. tonylukac

tonylukac TS Evangelist Posts: 1,310   +56

How do business adopt web based apps when the response time is 3 seconds? Grainger has their entire point of sale system on the web (cash registers), and it's as slow as molasses in July in Antarctica.

7. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

RIP Windows

8. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 2,393   +107

Windows wont' be RIP anytime soon. Still the main source OS for corp America and many households have it in place. Google Chrome Web Base will serve a function as well. Maybe one day both Microsoft and Google will merge into one huge Company. For now they'll just battle it out with Apple in the background.