Google vs Firefox

circusboy01

Not sure if this is the right forum.

I learned from a friend that Google uses multiple processes, while Firefox only uses one.
Would more processes be more ways that Adware,Malware, Viruses and the like could get in?

IMHO, Google "Chrome" IS, in and of itself, malware. So you're not going to get much traction on this topic with me.

It tracks you every where you go, It blows up "targeted ads, ("adware"), and your Gmail is supposedly read by Google to supply you with more , "targeted ads". You can't get more invasive than that, unless they decide to start collecting your passwords. Oh wait, you can have the websites you go to "remember" them for you.

As far as being susceptible to malware, "Chrome" is always the hardest browser to hack, but I think that competition is sponsored by Google. (That recollection is rather fuzzy, so feel free to fact check on that).

Just my $0.02:

The number of processes or threads have nothing to do with virus exposure, but rather all to do with performance. Running processes to support multiple windows or tabs is a sure sign of excessive code path lengths - - ie poor performance or memory management if not so implemented.

It could be argued that running a window in a separate sandbox however, is an approach to add extra difficulty to make an attack succeed.

Browser safety isn’t (just) a matter of processes and concentrating on these represents a wrong, simplistic approach to the matter. There are many factors affecting safety and these are assessed by experts to give the overall result, if only they could agree among themselves, which they usually don’t.

Or you can take an alternative, simplified approach and keep your browsing safe, without necessarily using the browser claimed as safest. This approach makes use of the logical and practical fact that hackers and malware spreaders target popular browsers in order to maximize the number of prospective victims. So the thing to do is to go for a less frequently used browser, which they consider an unworthy target. And thus, according to my latest info, hackers themselves choose the little used Opera to keep out of the way of other hackers.

Of course, browsing safety doesn’t end here either, there are many measures and precautions you can and should take, which are of greater importance than the browser itself. Not least of these are the sites you visit.

I use Google Chrome despite the numerous processes created. I just set Chrome to close the background processes when I close the browser. As for browser safety, it has nothing to do with it as everyone has said above. Firefox is considered safer. I like Firefox since it is open source and Chrome is made by Google, a huge, multimillion dollar corporation.

(After the style of, "The Godfather"), "Just when you think the browser war is over, it pulls you back in".

Thanks everyone I actually understood quite a bit of what you said. ;0)
I've always liked to have two browsers, for no special reason other than to break the monotony of having only one. So I think I'll keep Firefox, and trade out Google Chrome for Opera. I do have IE but I wont use it, so it doesn't count.

Me again. Boy Opera offers a lot of stuff. I only recognize 1 or 2 of them. Any suggestions about ones I should add?
It looks like AdBlock Plus and WOT is not available for Opera. Is that because it doesn't need them ? Are there any alternate programs I might use?

Back