TechSpot

Google will soon use your comments, ratings and photos for 'Shared Endorsements' ads

By Shawn Knight
Oct 11, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Google on Friday updated its terms of service such that the search giant will soon be able to use your name, photos and comments as product endorsements for ads shown across the Internet. Content will be gathered from the company’s...

Read more
  2. motrin

motrin TS Enthusiast Posts: 155   +8

I already said "no thank you"

when you get the e-mail click more info, then it takes you to the option to opt out.
  3. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 1,912   +362

Google needs to leave me alone about using google+/adding my name to youtube.
    There's a reason I don't want to, and its nothing to do with google, but its simply not happening.
    Darth Shiv and avoidz like this.
  4. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,030   +738

Oh well that automatically excludes me. I post on neither.
    cliffordcooley and psycros like this.
  5. Vrmithrax

Vrmithrax TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,285   +232

I love how people seem to be foaming at the mouth about this on other sites... If you've put out a PUBLIC review, comment or endorsement on one of those sites or channels, that's what will be used. If you haven't done any reviews, nothing changes for you. The end.

Bottom line? If you don't want your public opinions used, don't make your opinions public. Pretty simple, eh?
  6. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 6,945   +900

I opted out. This is just creepy.
    avoidz likes this.
  7. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,977   +1,486

Same here.
  8. t3chn0vamp

t3chn0vamp TS Booster Posts: 147   +19

khha4113 likes this.
  9. avoidz

avoidz TS Maniac Posts: 454   +54

Creepy. Google are getting as bad as Facebook for privacy settings. Time to shut down those accounts.
  10. khha4113

khha4113 TS Rookie

Google doesn't force you, you can opt out.
  11. avoidz

avoidz TS Maniac Posts: 454   +54

But even when you say No to the prompts, Google keeps asking you, nagging you.

12. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 1,912   +362

I know. But youd think after saying "no" over 9000 times they'd stop asking me or trying to trick me into doing it.
    Darth Shiv and cliffordcooley like this.
  13. Darth Shiv

Darth Shiv TS Evangelist Posts: 1,160   +174

Yes I don't want facebook or google's equivalent... free to give them an endorsement of what I think of them forcing the platform on google account holders ;)
  14. amstech

amstech TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 847   +218

After article upon article and leaks of Uncle Sam watching your activity, people are mad over this?
  15. ET3D

ET3D TechSpot Paladin Posts: 977   +31

That's like saying that if you say "that's a nice dress" to someone in public then it's perfectly okay to post a full page ad with your image as an advertisement for the dress.
    cliffordcooley likes this.
  16. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,977   +1,486

And that is without paying you for using your identity in the advertisement. It is there way of getting advertisement materials for free while making a fortune collecting for the advertised item. We still have a right to keep our identity anonymous, especially when there is a buck to be made otherwise. If Google wants to use my identity and opinions for marketing value, they can pay me for the right first.
    learninmypc likes this.
  17. Vrmithrax

Vrmithrax TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,285   +232

Well, to be fair, it's more like screaming "THAT'S A NICE DRESS!!!" in the middle of a store (you are on Google property, not in "public"). It's a location that you know is recording your every interaction, and that you had to sign a waiver to even enter and speak in... But yah, other than that, what you said.
  18. ET3D

ET3D TechSpot Paladin Posts: 977   +31

I think that one problem is that people just don't see their conversations as lasting. When I answer you, I'm having a conversation with you. I don't mean to have that be recorded forever, in fact I won't refer to it ever again once I no longer feel like continuing it. Yet it will remain here forever, and TechSpot has a license to publish it forever.

I also think that the "Google property" idea is problematic. I know I need sign an agreement, because Google is publishing what I'm writing. That doesn't mean that I expect what I post to be published in ways that I didn't intend. In the real world, I might implicitly agree that the store uses a CCTV to check on me, but I don't expect that footage to show up anywhere else.

The problem with changing license is that I'm a hostage of Google. I'm already using its services, and while in theory I can say "I don't like it, I'll stop using these services" that would be a significant issue for me, so Google has a good chance of having me agree to things I don't like that much.
  19. learninmypc

learninmypc TS Evangelist Posts: 5,231   +232

I've followed several links in various newsletters I get on how to opt out of it but quickly realized since I use neither my real name or picture of myself online, what the heck. :)

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.