Google wins legal battle with Oracle, Java in Android is 'fair use'

Scorpus

Staff member

Google has won a significant legal battle against Oracle over the use of Java APIs in Android, with a jury in California's Northern District federal court ruling that the use of these APIs by Google falls under "fair use".

Oracle had been seeking $9 billion in damages for Google's use of their copyrighted code, but the declaration that it constitutes "fair use" means that no damages will be paid. This is a big blow to Oracle, which spent millions on this legal fight in an attempt to make money from Google's extremely successful mobile platform.

The legal battle, which began in 2010, centered around Google's re-implementation of 37 Java APIs owned and copyrighted by Oracle. The initial suit claimed that Google directly copied these copyrighted APIs into Android, however Google maintained that the Java language is "free and open" to use.

In 2012, a judge ruled that APIs cannot be copyrighted, however this decision was overturned in 2014 when a federal appeals court ruled that Oracle had a valid copyright claim over the APIs in question. In the most recent trial, Google argued that the re-implementation of these APIs in Android constituted "fair use", which the jury agreed with.

Naturally Oracle is not pleased with this result, as it essentially allows Google to continue using the APIs for free without conflicting with Oracle's copyright. The company has already vowed to appeal the verdict to the Federal Circuit, with Oracle's general counsel Dorian Daley stating that they "strongly believe that Google developed Android by illegally copying core Java technology."

No doubt this appeal will continue the fight between Oracle and Google for more several more years, although Google should be very happy with this initial result.

Permalink to story.

Wow. And what does Oracle have to show for all its futile money grab? How they set the software world one step back by rendering APIs copyrightable.

Really great. Don't think I'm gonna buy a mac. Would become a pod (ipod) person, like invasion of the body snatchers. Gonna write a new dating app for android, not necessarily transgender, but there are no gay ones so maybe that, having a web site too for other purposes, because it would need a server. Will put my find phone app on those email servers and it will work worldwide, since google and microsoft overdo security on their free ones. Yes hillary I'm gonna set up an email server. That was another thing. It was on microsoft email servers and they automatically required the password changed because apps were accessing it they thought fraudulently. The password was hard coded in the app, and the eclipse/android compiler previously crashed losing the app and source. It was down for a month due to microsoft's overdoing security. I think I had listings of the source code and typed them in from scratch. It is not known if the updatings to new versions of these apps ever succeed. Android's app crash detector is not implemented. If google only gave the email address of the customer. Some default that I can't find defaults to the wrong email address of mine, so I had little communication from app buyers, except bad ratings. Once there's a bad rating, there isn't any way to change it. Changed those email addresses. Not really a summer project for the dating app.

Really great. Don't think I'm gonna buy a mac. Would become a pod (ipod) person, like invasion of the body snatchers. Gonna write a new dating app for android, not necessarily transgender, but there are no gay ones so maybe that, having a web site too for other purposes, because it would need a server. Will put my find phone app on those email servers and it will work worldwide, since google and microsoft overdo security on their free ones. Yes hillary I'm gonna set up an email server. That was another thing. It was on microsoft email servers and they automatically required the password changed because apps were accessing it they thought fraudulently. The password was hard coded in the app, and the eclipse/android compiler previously crashed losing the app and source. It was down for a month due to microsoft's overdoing security. I think I had listings of the source code and typed them in from scratch. It is not known if the updatings to new versions of these apps ever succeed. Android's app crash detector is not implemented. If google only gave the email address of the customer. Some default that I can't find defaults to the wrong email address of mine, so I had little communication from app buyers, except bad ratings. Once there's a bad rating, there isn't any way to change it. Changed those email addresses. Not really a summer project for the dating app.

What?

Java is crap. Just like flash it has to die already. Remove it from your computer and be done with it. Greedy companies like Oracle need to be sued to death and removed from the IT world.

What?
I think he's off his meds or something because that is some crazy stuff there. Just an FYI to tony but Grinder... Grinder is what you are looking for.

I think he's off his meds or something because that is some crazy stuff there. Just an FYI to tony but Grinder... Grinder is what you are looking for.
You don't have to take meds if you don't want to because the worst thing they get you for is suicide, murdering yourself, so soda has poison in it (acid) thus they're murdering you, so you can get out doing anything less. Another thing is that this can be slander, so no one really can call anyone crazy because they have the right of free speech in the constitution.

Java is crap. Just like flash it has to die already. Remove it from your computer and be done with it. Greedy companies like Oracle need to be sued to death and removed from the IT world.
You know, I'm not quite sure, but I think if you removed all Java from your computer, you wouldn't be able to log on to Techspot to b***h about it. Wouldn't that be ironic? :D

You don't have to take meds if you don't want to because the worst thing they get you for is suicide, murdering yourself, so soda has poison in it (acid) thus they're murdering you, so you can get out doing anything less. Another thing is that this can be slander, so no one really can call anyone crazy because they have the right of free speech in the constitution.
What?

Oranges have acid too, make sure to stay away from them, also dude TAKE YOUR MEDS!

Most painkillers are acid too. These are meds. Poison pills.
What you really have to watch out for are "alkaloids". Opium derivatives are alkaloids, as is cocaine.

Regardless of the PH of these compounds, "acid" is an oversimplification. Also, "poison" is a relative term. Many, if not all medications have an "LD-50" number, which denotes at what level the compound is lethal to 50% of those who contact it. (Note that different poisons have different routes of delivery).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alkaloid

Back