Google working on Android-powered TV platform?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jos

Staff

Google is reportedly joining a growing list of companies who are looking to bring Internet content to users' living rooms. According to the New York Times, the company has lined up some big partners -- including Intel and Sony -- to create an Android-based platform that will make browsing sites or using smartphone-like apps on TV sets as easy as changing the channel.

The new platform is being dubbed Google TV and would be available as a set-top box or as part of a Web-capable television. The company is expected to release a developer tool kit in a few months, hoping to encourage people to create apps for Google TV with the same enthusiasm they have been creating Android smartphone apps.

Until this day TVs remain one of the most relevant screens in people's lives. After years of failed attempts to bring web content to the living room, there are now several decent solutions for streaming online videos, rent premium content and browse the web from your couch. However, nobody's really figured out how to build something that's successful enough to be declared the preferred living room device. While Google no doubt sees this as a great opportunity to sell more ads, it remains to be seen what they can bring to the market that hasn't been done already.

Permalink to story.

Hmm they want to monopolize our living rooms now :suspiciou

On a more serious note; I don't think its practically viable except for very very casual browsing etc. also there is a chance of huge fight about who want to see what / or do what. So I'd rather stick with pc or my notebook and let tv what it is always supposed to do, period.

Google is everywhere.. Arent they also working on an operating system for desktops? I was really excited about that.

Agreed, also who will be responsible to keep the browser updated google or the manufacturer?

What happens when Google or the Manufacturer no longer supports the embedded browser?
Will people be stuck with a custom TV distro that is no longer updated? Thus running old, outdated, and potential security issue browser? BeholdenToAptGods(TM)

If this is an atom-based MB on the TV, can you put a different OS on it?

Questions indeed.

Google is becoming too BIG in my opinion it really is as time passes its just going to expand and expand, they getting too much into my life, everyone' life but despite all that I'm interested in seeing how this unravels. This sounds like a good idea I mean I think Google knows what they're doing this is what the future holds.

I have my computer hooked up to my tv. Why do I need a new box of some sort to do what I already do? Unless this box torrents movies, then organizes them for me, as well as automatically finds tv shows that are streaming in HD all over the web, then it's nearly useless to me. I already have a computer. I get all of my content myself. I watch my media on my TV as is. How is google going to improve on this formula?

The thing that I want to do, is set up a dual monitor / tv set up. I want to have TV on one monitor, and my computer on the other, but have the ability to use both monitors for my computer when I want. That way I can have my TV going watching the hockey game, whilst I'm dicking around on the internet. Eventually, I'd like to get three monitors going, but that's a whole other story.

So, put up or shut up Google. If you're going to make a set top box, it better be goddam awesome. Or maybe I'm dead wrong and the set top box will be designed for the average Joe that couldn't figure out how to make their vcr stop blinking 12:00. Maybe for Joe something like this will be usefull.

My Sony LCD has Yahoo-based gadgets built in. Painfully slow, but allows me to check weather forecast. I haven't found better uses for it yet - I don't use Flicker and Youtube is painfully cumbersome.

Always wanted TV via the internet. Thought it could be interesting. If google's behind it, got a great chance of success. But anybody get the feeling there's too much big brother recently.

The future will take care of itself as it has always done so good on organisations like 'Google' who are not sitting on their hands but trying to work out where we all are heading.

While I'm happy that a big company like Google is doing internet TV I highly doubt phone & cable companies will just sit idly by and watch Google take over there monopolies. This however could be a great thing for the industry in general with Google leading the way. A big name like Google should drum up more interest, and having a juggernaut like Google take on the other juggernauts can't hurt.

But I am curious as to how they will address customer service, they definitely can't act like they did with the Nexus. With them entering more into consumer markets and trying to have a stake in everything customers will expect a higher level of service that Google currently does not provide. I'm wondering as well if they will be monitoring everything you watch and then use it for advertisement purposes as they have a tendency to have some odd ideas about privacy.

But for the moment I'm on the fence about if I will use their service as I already use plenty. Hopefully more information will come out and we'll see what they offer :) .

I can already view tv channels off my computer with a hd tv tuner, why would I need to run a limited computer off my tv/phone.

Good luck google, heard you aren't doing so good with the Nexus One, hope you do your research first before taking your product to a market that already has something similar and are not willing to change.

It will be like in Batman Forever when the Ridder controls the TV, expect it will be the Google CEO's controlling all of us with there Google EVERYTHING.

Yoda8232 said:
It will be like in Batman Forever when the Ridder controls the TV, expect it will be the Google CEO's controlling all of us with there Google EVERYTHING.

Ah Jim Carry...lol. That was an enjoyable "bad" movie :) .

I am getting a bit of overload with all the different platforms that could be developed for. I think that is going to be one of the difficult issues with Android and all the different sets of hardware that it is being run on. Not much use to me though unless more tv content continues to be free online (which is under attack).

hey thats a great news!
the guys at google are very innovative! i loved the concept!
it will also make the android platform more famous!
great work!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back