Google's new data compression for Chrome mobile saves up to 50% on data usage

By Justin Kahn
Jan 16, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Mobile browsing has risen in popularity over the years and is continuing to do so while bandwidth remains generally the same. In order to lend a hand to those on limited plans, Google is introducing a new feature to its...

Read more
  2. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 2,525   +828

In an ideal world, you wouldnt need to worry about how much data you were using wiithout paying upwards of $100...
  3. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

Eh the update hasnt landed on iOS yet.
  4. hahahanoobs

hahahanoobs TS Evangelist Posts: 1,600   +411

Finally. I had to use Opera Mini in the past to get compression. 1GB doesn't last long without it.
  5. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,335   +1,937

So use Safari.
  6. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,335   +1,937

Handy for those that use the internet while using mobile data but something I avoid at all cost because that's exactly what it does, cost, and unnecessarily so.
  7. Capaill

Capaill TS Addict Posts: 279   +86

Wow, ye are really hammering that first paragraph home :)

Yes, this feature has been on Opera's mobile browser for a long time. Although I don't bother enabling it as I do most of my surfing on my home wifi.
  8. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,689   +395

It used to be (not sure after the switch to webkit) on their desktop browser too. I used it some when my parents had dial up. It always said it was saving me bandwidth, but with dialup being so slow I didn't notice much difference.
  9. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,212   +174

I wonder if this helps performance as well? Compression might improve download speeds.
  10. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

I do.
  11. Darth Shiv

Darth Shiv TS Evangelist Posts: 1,601   +370

Getting 44% according to the readout for the last few days since seeing this post. One catch was I had to force kill my Chrome after updating to use the new version.