Google's Nexus 5X is official at $379, pre-orders are open

Scorpus

Staff member

Google and LG have finally unveiled the Nexus 5X today after weeks of consistent leaks, and as expected, pretty much everything we already knew about the device has been confirmed.

The Nexus 5X is LG's first Nexus device since the original Nexus 5 launched two years ago. It marks a return to the popular five-inch form factor for Nexus devices, after we got a single 6-inch device from Motorola last year.

On the front of the handset is a 5.2-inch 1080p IPS LCD with a pixel density of 432 PPI, and internally this display is powered by a Qualcomm Snapdragon 808 SoC, the very same SoC LG used for the G4. This means we're looking at a hexa-core design with two ARM Cortex-A57 CPU cores clocked at 1.8 GHz and four Cortex-A53 cores at 1.4 GHz, plus an Adreno 418 GPU clocked at 600 MHz.

The Nexus 5X surprisingly comes with just 2 GB of RAM, which is less than many other competing high-end devices such as the G4, Moto X Style, and OnePlus 2. You also get 16 or 32 GB of internal storage with no microSD card slot, and a 2,700 mAh non-removable battery.

Camera wise it appears Google are trying to learn from the mistakes of past Nexus devices by using a pretty compelling camera on the Nexus 5X. The rear sensor itself can capture 12.3-megapixel images and 4K video through an f/2.2 lens, but the most impressive aspect is the use of sizable 1.55μm pixels, allowing far more light to be captured in a single image than standard 1.1μm smartphone cameras.

With an f/2.2 lens and 1.55μm pixels, we're looking at a camera that features hardware similar to the iPhone 6, except with more megapixels. Unfortunately there's no optical image stabilization, but you do get infrared laser autofocus for the rear camera, and a 5-megapixel front camera with 1.4μm pixels and an f/2.0 lens.

As for other aspects of the Nexus 5X, it features basically all the connectivity you'd want, including Wi-Fi 802.11ac, Category 6 LTE, Bluetooth 4.2, NFC, and USB Type-C for charging and data transfers. There's also a fingerprint sensor on the back for added security, which Google says is located "where your finger naturally falls".

The Nexus 5X is available for pre-order today starting at $379 through the Google Store in the United States, Canada, UK, Ireland, Korea, and Japan, with a shipping date of "late next month". Starting October 19, the device will roll out to additional (unspecified) countries, with nearly 40 countries to get the device through the Store or local retailers in Q4.

Permalink to story.

Less RAM, no thanks!

Only 32GB max storage? No thanks!

I was waiting for this, but... let's see the reviews in few days.

No removable battery, no 64 or 128GB option, same amount of RAM as the two year old nexus 5, no sd card, no sale.

Besides, there is much more competition in the $400 bracket then their used to be. Google needs to step up their game.

Can't be beat for $379 off contract.
You most certainly can. The moto x pure 16GB is $20 more, and has a microSD card slot and a 300 mah larger battery, and has 3GB of RAM compared to the n5x's 2GB. the 32GB option is $450, still has the larger battery and sd card slot, and there is a $500 64GB option, while the nexus 5x caps at 32GB.

No MicroSD slot = no thanks.
Guess what? Very soon we're all gonna be used to having devices without SD card slots because like it or not, that's the way things seem to be going.

Skidmarksdeluxe, I would certainly understand YOU getting/being used to not having the microSD slot, but I will never get a phone without that and removable battery; there's just so much competition out there, getting a phone I want to fit my need, will not be problem.

Can be easily beaten by quite a few other phones with often better specs, e.g. Xperia Z3, LG G3, or Galaxy S5.
None of which are Nexus devices that will be getting updates. So again, can't be beat... IMO

Also, I see devices that are older as well. S5 was 700 when it came out. The only reason it is cheaper (I assume it is or you wouldn't have brought it up) is because its been replaced.

No removable battery, no 64 or 128GB option, same amount of RAM as the two year old nexus 5, no sd card, no sale.

Besides, there is much more competition in the $400 bracket then their used to be. Google needs to step up their game.

You most certainly can. The moto x pure 16GB is $20 more, and has a microSD card slot and a 300 mah larger battery, and has 3GB of RAM compared to the n5x's 2GB. the 32GB option is $450, still has the larger battery and sd card slot, and there is a $500 64GB option, while the nexus 5x caps at 32GB.

Ok, how bout 'priced competitively' ;)

And for some, a 'pure' nexus device is reason enough to say it beats other phones

Skidmarksdeluxe, I would certainly understand YOU getting/being used to not having the microSD slot, but I will never get a phone without that and removable battery; there's just so much competition out there, getting a phone I want to fit my need, will not be problem.
OK, I can understand that but what are you gonna do when the time comes to replace your device and SD cards slots and removable batteries have gone by the wayside because from where I'm sitting it sure looks like those two options are in their death throes.
TBH I couldn't care less about removable batteries, the only time they ever came in handy was when my device misbehaved and I was able to quickly yank out the battery and do a reboot instead of getting blisters on my fingers from holding down the 0/1 button for hours on end trying to achieve the same thing.
Like a lot of people, I'm not happy to see the demise of the SD card slot but when it finally becomes extinct I'm sure I'll adapt to whatever we're supposed to be happy with and I'm sure you will as well.

I think the microSD slot is self-explanatory, but the reason I find the removable battery important as well is when the inevitable time comes when it can no longer hold a charge, you can just replace it and the phone is still usable.

I think the microSD slot is self-explanatory, but the reason I find the removable battery important as well is when the inevitable time comes when it can no longer hold a charge, you can just replace it and the phone is still usable.

...or you can replace that battery with a much larger one and have a phone that can go a couple days before needing a recharge. I just replaced my stock Note4 battery with an 8000mAH one and now I can use all its power sucking features without compromising battery life.

...or you can replace that battery with a much larger one and have a phone that can go a couple days before needing a recharge. I just replaced my stock Note4 battery with an 8000mAH one and now I can use all its power sucking features without compromising battery life.
Plus you still have the original battery as backup.

It's a pretty impressive phone for the price, and if something were to happen to my LG G4 and I couldn't get it warrantied, it would definitely be an option for me. I generally consider the lack of a removable battery and SD card slot to be a deal breaker for me, but at this price point and performance level off contract, it's a non-issue. My main concern would be the lack of the extra GB of RAM compared to my G4.

We are the customer. We tell the makers what we want. Don't just blindly take what they give us. Tell the designer and makers what you want, not just what you will accept. HTC put a Micro SD on the One m9. Still no removable battery, but I think they are starting to get it. It is time for us to stop being sheep to these device makers. We need to inform the makers that there devices are not what we want. I know we all love the thin, light phones they are making, but the first thing I do when I get a new device is wrap it in a protective cover. this adds weight and thickness. So if a device is a little thicker, little heaver to get the features I want. I'm ok with that. Here a few things I would like to see in a new phone.

1 - wireless charging, just makes my life easier
2 - removable/replaceable battery, batteries go bad and maybe I could swap the battery out with a charged one on a long, busy day with lots of use.
3 - Removable/replaceable Storage Memory, you know a micro SD card. I know the connector adds thickness and it takes up space on the board, I want to decide if more on board storage is needed, how much.
4 - 3.5 mm Head phone jack, I do not want to use an USB/Device specific set of head phones. I use cheap, easy to find headphone because I break them, loose them or forget them.

I really don't need a curved display, a rounded back cover, leather cover or metal. I want my device to work, be kinda tough but no military grade, with the things I listed above.

Also, I like the IR port some phones have this is not a deal breaker, but it is nice to have.

Come on people demand what you want, stop being sheep.

Back