TechSpot

Google's Nexus 6 to feature 5.92-inch, 2,560 x 1,440 display with 498 PPI, report claims

By Shawn Knight
Sep 25, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. We've been hearing for some time now that Google and Motorola are working together on the next Nexus device, codenamed "Shamu." The latest scuttlebutt on the matter reiterates the rumored 5.92-inch display and reveals a few other design delements.

Read more

2. I wish manufacturers would stop focusing on screen size, resolution and ppi and instead invest in battery life.

Completely pointless to have an ultra HD display that only works for a handful of hours.

3. robertocarlus

robertocarlus TS Rookie

True, 1080 is more than enough, I'd prefer a battery that would last a few days than having 4HD.

Seraphim401, Lionvibez and TadMSTR like this.
  4. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,519   +2,062

It's far too big, like 2" too big for my taste.

5. amstech

amstech TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 1,457   +606

I know a couple people that got G3's and one person took his back because the battery life was so bad compared to his G2. I just went through an upgrade and wanted the S5 or G3 (G2 was unavailable) but either was $240 even with a 2 year, so I got an updated S4 in BlackMist (1.9Ghz Snapdragon 600, Adreno 320, 5" 1080p) for next to nothing and I LOVE it.
    Anything bigger then 5" would annoy the hell out of me, but I am sure others won't mind.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2014
  6. My Nexus 5 seems like the perfect size in my opinion. Of this is all rumors and the phone may not be quite as large. The Moto X 2nd gen is an amazing phone already, albeit a little bigger than I'd like. I agree the previous comment suggesting lower res and longer battery life. At least it will put Apple to shame, then again 2 year old Android phones already do.

Arris likes this.
  7. Ok this is getting ridiculous now. Nexus 4/Nexus 5 are great phones but any phone above 5" screen is a turn off for me. As lot of people has pointed out I'd rather go for a 5" or less screen size with more battery life.

If I wanted a tablet I would have bought one.

8. Same rubbish commentary from everyone else with vague references to sources that I think are just made up.

9. Nobina

Nobina TS Evangelist Posts: 861   +340

Then this phone is pretty much a tablet. I would like it to be 5" max or stay the same size (which is still about 5"). Nexus 6 was designed by someone who has shovels for arms.

10. Nexus 6? Great, now I feel that my Nexus 5 is old..

11. Personally I think that some of the features are too overpowered: 3 GB (1,5-2GB is enough for me), screen size, screen resolution and the ability to record 4K videos. IMO the Nexus 5 would be the perfect smartphone if they had put in a bigger battery.

But I guess in one or two years I'll regret these words.

12. matrix86

matrix86 TS Guru Posts: 813   +26

Nearly 6 inches?! Guess which Nexus phone I WON'T be getting this year. The N5 is pushing my limits size wise.

13. Really bummed they decided to make it so big. It's just too big for me so I won't be getting it. Screen sizes are getting our of control. 5" to 5.2" is the max for me.

14. Really people, since 1080p, 2gb ram, quad core, etc.. specs like these can handle (maybe?) all of the applications in the market (currently), what drastic change can we expect from future phones?

1440p, 3gb ram, etc.. these are not drastic. I guess the interval of buying new phone will become bigger in these years.

15. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

No point of a resolution above 1080P. Also what is the point of this if it is basically a Moto X clone...

16. Mark Alchem

Mark Alchem TS Rookie

Darn it. This price will go way up around $300-$500 or more!

17. @ JCT13 : Nexus phones are always an upgraded "clone."

18. Iphone 6 ftw

19. Mark Alchem

Mark Alchem TS Rookie

Another iFan on the loose.