Google's smart watch reportedly going into production "within months"

Justin Kahn

A report from The Wall Street Journal says that Google's smart watch option could be much further along than some have thought. The report claims that Google is "in late-stage development," on the device and is quickly approaching production. Google is currently in talks with various suppliers and "could be ready for mass production" on the wearable "within months," according to WSJ.

The Journal's sources say Google's smart watch will run on Android and will largely be based around Google Now, which collates news, weather and other content from your Google account. This is something many are suggesting could work really well for a smart watch device.

google

One thing that hasn't worked so well with current smart watch designs, namely Samsung's Galaxy Gear, is battery consumption. The Galaxy Gear has been criticized pretty heavily for its short battery life and constant need to charge, which is something Google is throwing a massive amount of research and development dollars at in order to improve, according to the reports.

Google's upcoming wearable will also be able to talk to your other devices similarly to other smart watch designs, except with the deep Google Now integration. Sources say the device will "be able to communicate with other devices such as a smartphone." This likely means we will see some kind of data tethering functionality as well.

Although it sounds as though Google will be taking this thing into production early next year, there is no info on what any of this might mean in terms of availability at this point.

Permalink to story.

Based from the picture in this article, it shows the weather..
so, do we need to pay for "Data" for that "weather" feature to work.

Just like curved phones and Google Glass, I just don't see a future for these things at the moment.

Yes, but the iPod was a revolutionary device worth billions. And the smartphone was a revolutionary device worth billions. No one wants to miss the next one, so they're going to throw everything at the wall and see what sticks.

Until they come out with Marty McFly's self drying jacket and auto-tie shoes, I'm saving my money.

Not even remotely interested. But I bet they sell a ton of them to the 14-24 age group.

Just like curved phones and Google Glass, I just don't see a future for these things at the moment.

Yes, but the iPod was a revolutionary device worth billions. And the smartphone was a revolutionary device worth billions. No one wants to miss the next one, so they're going to throw everything at the wall and see what sticks.
Until they come out with Marty McFly's self drying jacket and auto-tie shoes, I'm saving my money.
So true. Some of the best inventions (and not just the hi-tech ones) in the world were scoffed at. Let's just see where this leads.

I would not mind have those myself. haha
I remember an article on these forums a couple of months back about shirts that never needed to be washed or were self cleaning, we all had a good laugh about that.
Maybe these watches will be indispensable one day but for the time being, I remain unconvinced.

Im just waiting for the hoverboard.

Back