TechSpot

Google's social network usage has jumped 37 percent since May

By Shawn Knight
Oct 30, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Google’s social network is still far behind that of rival Facebook but it has been making serious strides in the past several months. On Tuesday, the company revealed that 300 million users visit the site each month which is up...

Read more
  2. wastedkill

wastedkill TS Maniac Posts: 1,138   +240

If google didn't force you to join google+ to register or use their logged in services they wouldn't have most of the users they do on google+ so its a massive lie, if microsoft had a social network and forced everyone to register to it to use any windows product im sure it would double facebooks users and more than triple googles!

Just goes to show google aren't as smart as they think they are I mean come one "oh ye we are creeping up to facebook as we are gaining tons of google+ users" Bleh dont show off when you dont have anything to show off about!
  3. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,923   +1,464

If you are referring to Outlook, I have a Windows Live ID because it was required to download Windows 7 Beta. I don't use Outlook, nor do I currently ever plan to. However I did create a Windows Live ID, which has since been renamed to Microsoft Account. So even though I have never created a Microsoft Account or Outlook Email, I have one because I just logged in. I suspect many people have an account and are either unaware or simply don't care to use the service.

Edit: After posting I realize now Outlook is email not messaging, but the forced nature of these companies remains relevant. If Microsoft does have a messaging app, which account would be used to login? And which account does the Windows Store use? I've never dealt with Windows 8 at all but I'm almost willing to bet I could login with my Microsoft Account of which I never created to begin with.
    wastedkill likes this.
  4. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,021   +735

I'm sure, like me, if you have a Google account (which I only use for Gmail & Google App Store) you have access to Google+. Personally I never use it. I have very little use for any social networking site. I guess I'm too old for the trend. I never found a use for them although my kids & grand kids live on them.
    wastedkill likes this.
  5. cliffordcooley

I just found out that back in 2012, there was a Skype and Messenger merger. So technically Microsoft does have a messenger service.
    Since I'm on a roll, let me check that out. I'm sure you are correct.

Edit: After a phone number verification, I do have a Google+ Account.
  6. freythman

freythman TS Enthusiast Posts: 124   +10

66% of inhabitants of my home are male. It's easy to have a "37% increase" of an already small number to begin with. Statistics are always skewed to favor the opinion of the one generating them.
  7. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,064   +703

Which is why they included the numbers 190 million up to 300 million. For the record, 190 million to 300 million is a 57.8% increase, not 37%. that's why sites like the USA today say 58%. http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2013/10/29/google-plus/3296017/
  8. I must login now in G+ for 2 minutes straight to increase the number.
  9. cliffordcooley

Oops I wasn't thinking about increasing the number when I logged in for the first time earlier. LOL
  10. jimsing59

jimsing59 TS Member

I just signed up for Google+ just before reading this and also I'm glad to hear that teens are finally starting to get bored with Facebook. Is Google+ the new Facebook?

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.