Google's social network usage has jumped 37 percent since May

Shawn Knight

Staff member

google google plus social network

Google’s social network is still far behind that of rival Facebook but it has been making serious strides in the past several months. On Tuesday, the company revealed that 300 million users visit the site each month which is up from 190 million visitors in May – good for a 37 percent increase.

Google’s chief of social Vic Gundotra noted during an event in San Francisco that 540 million Google+ users have interacted with at least one of the company’s services in the last 30 days. That’s up from 390 million in May, he said, further adding that Google is uploading 1.5 billion images each week. The latter figure is increasing at an amazing rate, Gundotra said, although it’s unclear how many of those images are being uploaded to the social network.

Yet despite the growth, Google isn’t simply focused on being the largest social network in town. Much like Facebook, Google+ is used as a tool to help the company authenticate and identify users at other web destinations including Gmail and YouTube. And of course, it also helps the company serve up better ads. After all, advertising is at the core of Google’s business model.

In related news, Google highlighted a number of new Google+ features designed to boost the usefulness of photos on the social network. The company said they have added roughly 1,000 words to its algorithm that can be used to search for photos on the site and also added a new video service that will allow members to create a movie from their collection of video clips stored on Google+.

Permalink to story.

If google didn't force you to join google+ to register or use their logged in services they wouldn't have most of the users they do on google+ so its a massive lie, if microsoft had a social network and forced everyone to register to it to use any windows product im sure it would double facebooks users and more than triple googles!

Just goes to show google aren't as smart as they think they are I mean come one "oh ye we are creeping up to facebook as we are gaining tons of google+ users" Bleh dont show off when you dont have anything to show off about!

if microsoft had a social network and forced everyone to register to it to use any windows product im sure it would double facebooks users and more than triple googles!
If you are referring to Outlook, I have a Windows Live ID because it was required to download Windows 7 Beta. I don't use Outlook, nor do I currently ever plan to. However I did create a Windows Live ID, which has since been renamed to Microsoft Account. So even though I have never created a Microsoft Account or Outlook Email, I have one because I just logged in. I suspect many people have an account and are either unaware or simply don't care to use the service.

Edit: After posting I realize now Outlook is email not messaging, but the forced nature of these companies remains relevant. If Microsoft does have a messaging app, which account would be used to login? And which account does the Windows Store use? I've never dealt with Windows 8 at all but I'm almost willing to bet I could login with my Microsoft Account of which I never created to begin with.

if microsoft had a social network and forced everyone to register to it to use any windows product im sure it would double facebooks users and more than triple googles!
If you are referring to Outlook, I have a Windows Live ID because it was required to download Windows 7 Beta. I don't use Outlook, nor do I currently ever plan to. However I did create a Windows Live ID, which has since been renamed to Microsoft Account. So even though I have never created a Microsoft Account or Outlook Email, I have one because I just logged in. I suspect many people have an account and are either unaware or simply don't care to use the service.

Edit: After posting I realize now Outlook is email not messaging, but the forced nature of these companies remains relevant. If Microsoft does have a messaging app, which account would be used to login? And which account does the Windows Store use? I've never dealt with Windows 8 at all but I'm almost willing to bet I could login with my Microsoft Account of which I never created to begin with.
I'm sure, like me, if you have a Google account (which I only use for Gmail & Google App Store) you have access to Google+. Personally I never use it. I have very little use for any social networking site. I guess I'm too old for the trend. I never found a use for them although my kids & grand kids live on them.

I just found out that back in 2012, there was a Skype and Messenger merger. So technically Microsoft does have a messenger service.
Discontinuation[edit]

On 6 November 2012, Microsoft announced that Messenger and Skype services would merge in the first quarter of 2013, with users of Messenger client software moving to Skype.

I'm sure, like me, if you have a Google account (which I only use for Gmail & Google App Store) you have access to Google+.
Since I'm on a roll, let me check that out. I'm sure you are correct.

Edit: After a phone number verification, I do have a Google+ Account.

66% of inhabitants of my home are male. It's easy to have a "37% increase" of an already small number to begin with. Statistics are always skewed to favor the opinion of the one generating them.

I must login now in G+ for 2 minutes straight to increase the number.

I just signed up for Google+ just before reading this and also I'm glad to hear that teens are finally starting to get bored with Facebook. Is Google+ the new Facebook?

Back