Google's voice search app for Android now understands five languages at once

Justin Kahn

google android voice search app googles voice search app

Google's voice search functionality is handy for many people, especially considering the more than 50 languages and dialects it supports. According to the search giant, more than half the world's population speaks two or more different languages, and now it is adding new functionality to further accommodate multilingual individuals

With the Google search app for Android, users can now search in multiple languages at once without having to dig through the settings menu to flip back and forth manually. With a quick, one-time change, users can pick up to 5 languages to voice search with simultaneously. For example, users can input a basic search in one language and then immediately fire off a text message to a friend in another. 

The company notes that only one language per sentence can be used for now but that additional features/languages will be added over time. The company also says that whether or not users receive spoken responses will depend on the particular language and search query.

The feature is only available on the Google search app for Android (version 3.6) at this point. To set-up the five languages option, open your Google settings and head to Search & Now/Voice/Languages. 

Permalink to story.

Google would do well to introduce English into it's voice search as well because it's a very common language spoken the world over. I tried Googles voice search, speaking in English as plainly as I could and it often misunderstood me not to mention the fact that when it finally understood it replied in a monotonous and irritating accent, often mispronouncing words like saying "aloominum" instead of "aluminium" but I digress, I don't have a need for voice search so I don't use it but I do have to listen to the same irritating voice when I use Google maps for navigation. I wish I could change that.

Back