Got a mobo with blown caps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rik

Hi all,
Ive got a GigaByte GA-7VTXE mobo that has 4 blown capacitors, they are all 3300uf 6.3v.

It still works but i was wondering about replacing them, does anyone think that there will be any other damage?

As far as i know, its an agp x4 board and had an agp x8 graphics card in it for some time, could that be the cause?

Any help will be appreciated.

Capacitors die mostly because that's what they do. Electrolytic capacitors have a limited life and they just fail. Heat is a huge factor in this, so if you want your capacitors to last, keep your system cool.

You'd have to connect somthing very wrong to blow a capacitor, so it is unlikely that your graphics card made them die.

We had a thread about replacing capacitors DIY just recently. Look it up.

Thanx for your time Nodsu, did a bit of research on the mobo and found out that its a common fault caused by low quality capacitors. I have some better quality ones that im thinking of fitting to the mobo that should hopefully fix it.

I think you could be right about heat, the case that this mobo was in had very poor ventilation indeed. I intend to use the mobo as a server and storage pc, ive got an old but fairly big case to put it into so it should hopefully not overheat. I will however monitor things closely for a while to make sure, which is something im sure the previous owner of the mobo didnt do.

Thanx again for you time, Rik.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back