Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Nah, PDAs aren't for me

Votes: 8 44.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Julio Franco

Staff member
I remember I opened a similar thread a while ago in the Jawbreaker forums, well, now we palm users have our own board in which all your portable computing comments should go.

Since I don't own a laptop anymore (I would like to have the ones equipped with a GeForce2Go or Radeon mobile but they are too expensive for the use I would give them) I will start off with the PDA discussion.

I would also like to hear experience from people that have switched from Palm to PocketPC or the other way around... I have one of the cheaper Visor Deluxe PDAs.

I got a brand shiny new HP Jornada for Christmas :D I don't know why I'm not playing PocketDoom right now...

I got a Palm m125 for Christmas, don't really know anything about them. Feel like I owe it to my parents to use it though.

Originally posted by SNGX1275
I ...Feel like I owe it to my parents to use it though.

Doesn't that always suck. When you think you owe your parents something, that in acutality you don't. I just think it really stinks when your parents get you something, and you feel OBLIGATED to use it. When in actuality you probably TOLD them that you didn't want it, but they got it fo you anyway. That sux d00d

i bought the palm m500 before i went back to school this semester and i'd say i'm %75 happy with it. i considered the palm m505 but decided another $90 wasn't worth it for a rather poor looking color display.

i bought the keyboard for it (which is wicked cool!!) but have not had a chance to get any major use out of it, as of yet. i had planned on using it for taking notes but have foudn it too clumbsy in a crammed classroom.

although, i've been able to find pretty much any app i would need on either IRC or www.palmgear.com.

the only application i cannot find is a C compiler. i'd like to be able to write compile and execute C source code for my computing class on my palm, then transfer it to my desktop when i sync. i found an app called PocketC, which compiles memopad documents, but i cannot get it to find the memo's i've written.

overall i really don't think the money was well spent on such a device. :rolleyes: as a college student i should be saving my money as much as possible! furthermore i'm sure i could have gotten with a simple pencil and a slice of paper, to be 100% honest. :blush: </rant>

-j

I have a Palm Professional from the dawn of Palm pilots.
It's spent most its life in a drawer.

hmmmm...If there was app that allows me to write Java code and compile it on my PDA, that would be great :). Does such applications exist though?

ss1.

Java? On your PDA? What's the point? :confused: The screens are way to small to even begin to show a full web page...and be a pain the *** to keep scrolling around all the time. The average PDA screen is what, 240x120? Besides, the fastest processor on the market for PDA's is an Intel Strong ARM, and that's about 250 MHz...But hey, if that's your thing...I just don't think there's anything out there that's like that...

Originally posted by Vehementi
Java? On your PDA? ...But hey, if that's your thing...I just don't think there's anything out there that's like that...

You never know what is come out into the market in the future?

Originally posted by ss1
hmmmm...If there was app that allows me to write Java code and compile it on my PDA, that would be great :). Does such applications exist though?

Depends on what PDA you've got, but yes, they do exist... I know both iPaq and Palm has their own, but they're very slow... (Dunno where you might get it though...)

As for owning a PDA... I bought the m100 the day it hit the streets of Norway (the day before actually,but ;)) and it has to be one of the biggest wastes of money I've ever spent! I used it on and off about 6 months, and that was mostly for Rogue and one other game... Now, I don't even know where I put it last....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back