Got a router, still need software firewall?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xpgeek

I've seen longg threads of best firewall debates on many forums, and always lots of people saying they don't need a software firewall cause they have a router which is a hardware firewall, but I've seen some say you still need one even with a router cause a router wont block outgoing connections.

Soo, if that made any sense, I hope it did, I finally bought a router today, a wired Linksys router, because I needed to split my connection for another PC, was very easy to setup and configure all working with no problems at all.

My only question now, whose right, and do I still need a software firewall at all, I still use Sygate, now that I have a router? And how good IS the protection from a router's hardware firewall?

It's not a matter of who's right and who's wrong. It's a matter of personal preference. If you feel comfortable without a software firewall then that's ok but the main reason to have the software firewall, like you mentioned is to monitor outgoing traffic, like keyloggers and certain viruses.

Well I consider myself pretty tech savy, and haven't even had a virus in, yearss, so wouldn't mind freeing up some resources by not running a software firewall. But I don't want to leave a gaping hole in my security either, so a router's firewall is good and strong and secure enough if don't have to worry about monitoring outgoings?

A router firewall is more difficult to compromise than a software firewall, but a software firewall offers a better range of customizable security, such as blocking outbound traffic and specific programs.

The best, most secure method would be to use both.

I use a router with no software firewall other than windows default.
Been working fine for me.
Used with a strong anti-virus and trojan horse programs you should be ok

As long as you know your way arount the 'net and not click on anything stupid then you could turn it off.. probably leave it to not auto startup when windows starts, then you can turn it back on if you have a guest using your pc, or when somethings suss...

It's always a good idea to install a software firewall. It gives more protection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back